At the Community Health Education Center, you’ll find these resources, some of which you can access from home or work computers.
- VCU Libraries Catalog Use the library catalog to search for books located in CHEC.
- Consumer Health Complete
- Online consumer health information database for use in the Community Health Education Center. Search full-text health reference titles, find information on prescription drugs, find images, and view video clips about a variety of health topics.
- Facts On File Health Reference Center
- Health Reference Center is a great starting point to find basic information about health topics. Includes diseases, mental health, wellness, and information about the body systems. Also, contains basic information on a variety of lab tests. For use in the Community Health Education Center.
- MD Consult
- (VCU Libraries) Available on both campuses OR off-campus with a VCU Password. Scroll down the screen to “MD Consult”. There is a “Patient Education Handouts” section.
- (National Organization for Rare Disorders) – Find information on many rare diseases. Available in the Community Health Education Center.
- Patient Education Online
- (American Academy of Pediatrics) Searchable database of pediatric patient handouts for children, teens, and parents. For use in the Community Health Education Center.
- Anatomy -anatomy websites including tutorials
- Clinicaltrials.gov and National Caner Institute Clinical Trials -clinical trials information sources
- Medical Dictionary -MedlinePlus
- Drug Information -MedlinePlus
- Medical Encyclopedia – English or Espanol -MedlinePlus
- Evaluating Health-related Web Pages
- Financial, Legal and Insurance Support -local financial, legal and insurance support
- Multicultural Health -health information written in a variety of languages.
- Special Needs -find resources that are easy to read and find resources for low-vision users.
Recommended Web sites and Web-based Directories
- MedlinePlus of National Library of Medicine offers English and Spanish information
- Hardin Meta Directory on Internet Health Sources
- “Top Ten” Most Useful Websites from the Medical Library Association
- United Way Directory of Services -area health services and support groups
- Hospital and Doctor Directory -find hospitals, doctors, sites about hospitals and nursing homes
- Healthfinder -doctors, hospitals, services and organizations.