CTE Teaching and Learning Podcast: Exploring Digital Storytelling

This episode of the CTE’s Teaching and Learning podcast series features a conversation with Dr. Teresa Carter from the VCU School of Education, and Bud Deihl from the VCU Center for Teaching Excellence. The podcast begins with an introduction to the process of digital storytelling, and an introduction to the CTE’s digital storytelling program. In the course of the conversation we explore digital storytelling as both a means for supporting reflective practice as well as for creating compelling learning materials.

Download Podcast

3 Responses to CTE Teaching and Learning Podcast: Exploring Digital Storytelling

1. Diane Bumpass March 9, 2010 at 11:35 am #

This is more a comment about the podcasts in general. (Thanks for offering them.) Please include in the descriptions how long they are. In this way, I know if the block of time I have available matches the time I need for listening.

2. Jeff Nugent December 17, 2009 at 2:02 pm #

Thanks for checking out the podcast, Derek…glad you enjoyed it. We are continuing this program with small cohorts of faculty here at VCU. it seems like a very powerful medium for reflection on practice and learning. After faculty engage in this process, they seem very interested in employing aspects of it in their teaching.
    Cool pick of your concept map…I’ve wondered if concept mapping would be useful as a process for story boarding.

3. Derek Bruff December 17, 2009 at 1:20 pm #

I really liked this episode. I’ve heard about digital storytelling before, but this discussion helped make this technique very concrete for me. I think it was the constrained nature of the storytelling–images, music, narration, three-minute limit. That seems to have a lot of potential.
    In fact, I was inspired by this episode to collect my thoughts on visual thinking (which includes digital storytelling) in a concept map. I shared it on Twitter and received some useful feedback. I thought you might like to see it.