Yes, Career Services Does Work!

What we do!

VCU’s School of Business Career Services is dedicated to assisting business students and alumni in defining and attaining their career goals. We recognize the need for differentiation in today’s competitive job market, and provide the necessary tools to help students develop and showcase their skills and experience. We help students graduate as professionals with a degree … and a job.

Services we provide!

Students and alumni have access to a broad spectrum of services and resources including:

• Career consulting
  • Career plan development
  • Resume development
  • Interview preparation
  • Professional etiquette dinners
  • Internship opportunities
  • Career fairs
  • Employer information sessions
  • On-campus interviews
  • Networking
Proof that it works! 
Shariar, Information Systems, Dec. 2015
I owe a lot of my recent career success to your assistance. When I graduated from VCU, I knew what I wanted to do, but networking was not my strong suite at all. You helped me find a job and an internship which have helped define my career path into exactly what I was looking for. I’ve wanted to say thanks for a while now, and I figured that this was the perfect time to give you an update on what I am up to these days. It’s been almost exactly 2 years since I graduated back in December ’15.
First, you helped me obtain an internship with a startup company called Amicitia, Inc., which develops tabletop games. They were looking for an intern to assist with their web development needs. Being an Information Systems major and someone who adores games, this was right up my alley. I was hired after about 6 months and continue to work for them today as a part-time full stack web developer.
Secondly, you helped me land a job at what was known as IBS at the time, a small software company based in the West End that specialized in golf/country club management software. It was my first real 9-5, working in customer support. Because of this opportunity, I learned how to troubleshoot technical problems efficiently. We also needed to have a strong understanding of HTML and SQL, which I quickly learned to love. I was promoted to a tier II customer service technician within 8 months, where I got to deal with nastier SQL issues, logging UI software bugs, and all the other issues no one else could figure out.
I am currently working in Charlottesville, VA for a company called Alere Informatics as an Interface Analyst.. I’ve been at my new position for a little over 10 months now and I’m starting to feel like I finally made it. I love what I do, I love my coworkers, and I owe it all to your guidance. I had no idea what to do when I graduated and I feel like I’ve come a long way in only a few years. I aspire to continue studying web development and obtain SQL certifications so I can go for my DBMA.
Attached to this email is a picture of the Alere Informatics (now Abbott) Interface Analyst’s team (I’m in the bottom right corner in the green North Face). I couldn’t ask for a better team to work with and continue my growth.
Keep up the fantastic work, and thank you for everything Darlene!
How to reach us!
  • Schedule an appointment with one of our career counselors through Hirebusrams
  • Drop in on Tuesdays from 4-6:30pm
  • Drop in on Wednesdays from 9-12 & 1-6:30pm