30 Day Question Challenge

I want to pose an open challenge: Post an out-of-the-box question about teaching and learning each day for 30 days.

I want to call upon the power of collective genius to explore questions that are not typically asked. I believe that questions can drive thinking forward just as they reflect our point of view, for better or worse. A mentor of mine, Dr. Gerald Nosich, once told me that there is a real sense in which answers stop thinking, but questions keep thinking moving. I can’t think of an example of a book, person, podcast, or website that I had a significant impact on me that didn’t pose a question or present a concept in a unique and engaging way. Questions are invigorating; they show me new and imaginative ways to see things.  All too often we fail to ask innovative and creative questions about teaching and learning because we fail to question our core assumptions, our points of view, our expectations, our concepts, our situations. I want to move thinking forward, and a focus on questions may be a good place to start.   

So, building off of a Britt Watwood’s challenge to blog every day for 30 days, which grew out of a challenge by Michele Martin – and which she herself modeled in her Bamboo Project  blog 30 juicy questions to grow your life in 2014 – I propose a challenge I propose a challenge to pose an no-hold’s barred question addressing some dimension of teaching and learning. I want to synthesize the questions at the end of the 30 days to see what actually emerged.

I’ll start.

DAY 1: What would my class look like if every student embodied a sense of intellectual playfulness? 

The concept of intellectual playfulness was introduced to me in a book entitled “The Thinking Classroom: Learning and Teaching in a Culture of Thinking” by Tishman, Perkins and Jay (1995) out of Harvard University. They emphasized the vital importance of building a culture of thinking by helping students work to develop dispositions (habits) for productive and emotionally rewarding thinking.

That’s it. Day 1. Britt said he would extend this to Twitter. Please join.