Who am I?

That’s the question, isn’t it?

Well, if I had to provide a short bio, one form might look like this or this.

Hale

Background

I entered the education profession 17 years ago, and I spent the first eight years of this time as a high school Social Studies teacher. I moved into the higher education ranks teaching classes to both undergraduate and graduate students and serving on doctoral committees. However, the last decade firmly planted me the world of faculty development. Working with faculty has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I have facilitated over 130 professional development workshops and seminars collaborating with faculty and administrators, nationally and internationally, in primary schools, secondary schools, graduate schools, businesses and government agencies. You can see a selected list here. The mass of this work focuses on embedding higher-order thinking skills and attitudes into curriculum, instruction and classroom culture, and I actively work to publish addressing various dimensions in the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL).

Although I specialize in critical and higher order thinking, I have made plenty questionable decisions. I climbed Mt. Whitney in severe avalanche conditions; I broke both my legs rock climbing; I survived off wild berries for six days while backpacking in British Columbia due to poor food preparation; and, more recently, I spent the night in a cave in South Africa without the luxury of a sleeping bag or food. Despite my thirst for adventure, which comes more from the heart than the head, my ability to foster critical thinking skills in a classroom environment is one of my greatest strengths. Nonetheless, such experiences have prompted me to value all the time I have with my wife and kids, which takes up the bulk of my free time.

I hold a BA in History with an emphasis in social and intellectual history, a MA in Liberal Arts and Science, A California Single Subject Social Science teaching credential, and a Ph.D. in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis in critical thinking, teaching and learning.

Areas of Interest

• Faculty Development
  • High-Impact teaching strategies/practices
  • Critical thinking skill development within and across the disciplines
  • Creative thinking
  • Metacognition
  • Transformative learning
  • Cross-cultural faculty development
  • Action Learning
  • Practical instructional methods for assessment
  • Developing a questioning mind (asking powerful questions)
  • Developing and utilizing an intellectual language (language of thinking)

You can contact me via email at: ehale2@vcu.edu ; or by phone at 804-828-4798

Disclaimer

I hope it goes without saying that the posts and comments contained herein are my views and the views of those who contribute to the discussions. They do not reflect the views of Virginia Commonwealth University or any of its affiliates. That’s it; so blame me if you get offended, disagree, or just don’t like it.