June 28, 2011

Attention December 2011 Grads!

If you’re intending to graduate in December of 2011, you must complete the Honors College Dossier in addition to the VCU graduation application. Hopefully, you were able to attend one of the dossier workshops and by now, you’ve certainly reviewed the format, requirements, and the application on the Honors College website:
The ceremony will be held here at 701 West Grace Street and details will follow once the applications have been submitted and reviewed. If you have specific questions, contact your adviser or Ms. Homer.

June 23, 2011

Exciting Opportunity to Teach in Japan!

If you will be graduating this December (or have already graduated) and have been dying to visit and work in Asia- this is a fantastic opportunity! Kobe College High School in Nishinomiya, Japan is looking for an English teacher for grades 7-12. Kobe College High School is a prestigious, private all girls’ school with a student body of 900, founded in 1875 by Congregational missionaries. In 2005, KCHS Junior High School division was recognized by the Japanese Ministry of Education and Science for offering one of the very top English language programs in Japanese junior high schools.
Position: English Teacher for grades 7-12
Contract: 2 years beginning April 1, 2012
Salary: 4,691,200 yen ($58,297.54 US)
Benefits: Furnished Apartment (small fee), Travel and Shipping Expenses, Language Study
Qualifications: B.A. degree (Major in English or Education preferred); TESOL certification and teaching experience are preferred; Speaker of standard American English with strong grammar skills.
For More Information:
• View www.kccjee.org for a full job description.
• Telephone: (847) 715-9859
• Facsimile: (847) 715-9860
• E-mail: kccjee@comcast.net
To Apply: Send a letter of application and a resume to:
KCC Japan Education Exchange
2100 Sanders Road, Suite #190
Northbrook, IL 60062
Fax: 847-715-9860
Email: kccjee@comcast.net (no on-line links please)
*Please include your email address in the correspondence.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2011
*Jeanne Sokolowski taught at this school for three years and is happy to answer any questions you may have by email: jeanne.sokolowski@WKU.EDU

June 20, 2011

Attention Continuing Students Who Need UNIV 200/HONR 200

As a continuing student in the Honors College, odds are you’ve completed UNIV 111 and UNIV 112 (focused inquiry) already. Now, you have the choice of taking UNIV 200 or you may elect to take the Honors College’s version of the course: HONR 200. This will fulfill the University requirement and allow you to earn honors credit.
Currently, Ms. Homer is keeping a list of continuing students who would like to take HONR 200. Please call Ms. Homer as soon as possible to be added to the list and to discuss which course fits into your scheduled for the Fall 2011 semester.

June 17, 2011

GHRC Delegation for Women’s Right to Life in Guatemala

GHRC Delegation for Women’s Right to Life in Guatemala
Guatemala Human Rights Commission (GHRC) invites you to participate in an annual delegation to understand the economic, social and political issues surrounding violence against women and femicide in Guatemala. From July 30 – August 7, 2011, delegates will meet with women from all walks of Guatemalan society: Mayan and ladina, rural and urban, national activists and community organizers, survivors of violence, and those who support them.
The delegation will look at the issues of femicide and violence, organizing and solidarity, and the 2011 elections. Participants will learn first-hand about the obstacles women confront in their daily lives, structural barriers to gender equality, and how the women’s movement is organizing for women’s rights. The delegation will also focus on what we as concerned individuals and activists can do to help.
You can find more information and apply now by filling out the brief delegation application available on our website: http://www.ghrc-usa.org/Programs/ForWomensRighttoLive/Delegation.htm. Please return your applications to GHRC at amartin@ghrc-usa.org. Applications are due by June 15, 2011.

Unable to Attend An Honors Orientation Session?

Some of you incoming freshmen had time conflicts and were unable to attend an honors orientation session…. or you missed the boat. But it’s not the end of the world. By now, you’ve already had your pre-orientation phone call with your honors adviser so your schedule should be pretty much set. So you will attend a non-honors orientation and meet with an adviser in your discipline.
For example, if you’re a Mechanical Engineering major, you should already have spoken to Ms. Homer on the phone and she would have registered you for your classes. You will then go to one of the School of Engineering’s Orientation dates and meet with a non-honors adviser to get a little more information about their program; you will NOT be seeing an honors adviser that day.
If you have questions about how this works, please give Ms.Homer a call: 804-828-1803.