Mr. Jeff Wing, Director of the National Scholarship Office, will be holding an information session about the Goldwater Scholarship on Wednesday, September 5 from 1-2pm in Room 1303 at The Honors College (701 W. Grace Street).
The Goldwater Scholarship recognizes students who are pursuing undergraduate degrees in STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering or mathematics) and intend to pursue research-oriented careers in these fields.
Competitive Goldwater candidates will be strong students (GPA > 3.7), will already have research experience, and will have a plan for pursuing graduate education that will lead to a career as a research scientist, engineer or mathematician.
Since 2007, eight VCU undergraduates have been selected as Goldwater Scholars. They have pursued or are presently pursuing graduate degrees at Johns Hopkins, UCLA, Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, Harvard and Oxford among others. Other nominees who were not selected as Goldwater Scholars have also gone on to pursue graduate degrees at top graduate institutions.
For more information about the Goldwater Scholarship, visit http://www.act.org/goldwater or email Honorsnso@vcu.edu.
Wow, what a turn out! The Honors College is pleasantly surprised to learn that so many honors students were able to attend the “What Came Before the Big Bang?” lecture on Tuesday, August 28th, but unfortunately, we were not prepared for quite so many attendees! For those of you who sought a stamp after we ran out of passports, you should have received an index card with a Berglund stamp. Please come to the Honors College THIS WEEK and we will transfer the stamp to a passport for you. You must come do this by Friday, August 31 in order to get credit for the event. If you have questions or concerns about the Berglund series, please contact Ms. Homer: email@example.com.
VCU Athletics invites the VCU community to participate in College Colors Day on Friday, Aug. 31, by wearing black and gold fan gear. Show A-10 Conference how much school spirit VCU has. Members of VCU Athletics will be out on campus giving away gift cards and prizes to random students, faculty and staff caught wearing black and gold on Aug. 31. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for a creative way to get involved in the VCU Honors College? Join the staff of the Honors College Newsletter, Le Monde! We are looking for interested writers, editors, photographers, and cartoonists to contribute to our Fall 2012 edition. We will be holding two interest meetings in the Honors Lounge on Monday 9/10 at 5:30 PM and Wednesday 9/12 at 2:30 PM– join us for more information and brainstorming. Please feel free to contact Kellie (email@example.com) or Tolu (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions!
Want to stay in shape during the semester? Join Team Break! We are a new fitness organization started at VCU in the hopes of helping students stay in shape while balancing an academic and social lifestyle. From resistance training to losing weight, our mission is to create regiments for you to use throughout the semester that makes exercising and eating right a simple task. Our schedule is as follows:
1) Meet every Sunday from 2-3 P.M. in Harris Hall 2101
2) At the meeting, we break off into groups and discuss what your personal goals are for the semester
3) We set benchmarks for you to hit for the following months and assign you a buddy to workout with (optional)
4) You workout for a week and with the fitness guide and the nutritional guide associated with your regiment.
5) Come back the following week and tell us if the regiment is working and whether you would like to continue or change up the routine.
Our first meeting will be September 9th, 2012 in Harris Hall 2101. Feel free to come and bring a friend! For more information, please contact Ashvin Sood at email@example.com.
If you’re still looking for an honors course this semester, the following courses had space available as of Monday, August 27th:
- 26799 HNRS: INTRO TO ACCOUNTING I TR 12:30 pm-01:45 pm
- 27913 HNR: ILLNESS NARRATIVES TR 02:00 pm-03:15 pm
- 27857 HNR:ART & LNG: ONE WRD AT TME F 09:00 am-11:50 am
- 27858 HNR: SOCTY, MORALTY, & THE LAW R 04:00 pm-06:40 pm
- 27859 HONR: SOC MED & THE PRES RACE TR 09:30 am-10:45 am
- 28194 HONR TOP: ART OF NARRATIVE I W 03:00 pm-05:40 pm
- 24881 HNRS MOD: THNK LIKE A MTHMTCN TR 04:00 pm-05:15 pm
- 28102 INTL 365: HNRS:INTER POLITICAL ECON WI R 04:00 pm-06:40 pm
- 22102 MATH 230: HONRS MATHMTCS IN CIVILIZATION MWF 01:00 pm-01:50 pm
The Add/Drop period for full semester courses ends August 29th! For modules, add/drop ends on the first day that specific class meets. Please contact your honors advisor with questions.