Holiday Job Search Success
We’ve all heard it said – “Most companies don’t hire in December.” But is there any truth to this tale? Should you pack it up and take a break during the holiday season, or is it best to press on toward job search glory? Though we don’t recommend throwing in the towel, after scouring the internet for opinions on the subject, we are no closer to a concise answer. However, we did manage to put together some of the most useful comments and tips for job hunting during the holidays.
- While other job seekers are taking time off, it may be an opportune time to get in contact with HR departments and hiring managers.
- Networking events may be less crowded this time of year. That might be good news for you, as you will be able to command more attention from those you meet and make real, meaningful connections.
- Even if many companies are not hiring in December, your networking efforts and submitted applications will pay off in January. Just be sure to follow up after the holiday season.
- This is a great time of year to reassess your resume and cover letter, get your social media accounts in shape, and practice your interview skills so you’re ready for January’s hiring surge.
- Keep in mind you only need one job. Even if there are fewer opportunities overall, a company is not likely to wait if it has a need to fill a position ASAP.
- And finally…it never hurts to look!