A new resource that I think may be of interest. It is called Simply Map and will be very useful if you are wanting to explore the demographics of a particular region, like when trying to plan interventions into the community. Please let me know if you have any questions about it and more information about the resource is below.
Simply Map (link)
This is a web based Geographic information Systems (GIS) application that could be useful to users who are looking to explore data on a particular area or region. The application allows users to be develop interactive thematic maps and export high-resolution images to word processing or presentation software. The interface is very user friendly and something that has a very short learning curve. Some of items of interest about the database are:
- Users can access thousands of demographic, business, and marketing data variables. Data for all geographies include census block-groups, census tracts, ZIP codes, cities, counties, states, and the entire United States.
Data Variables Available:
- Marital Status
Historical census data: 1980, 1990, 2000
- Answers to frequently asked questions about disease, health status, doctor visits and more.
- Health Questions Age 18+ & under 18
- Death Causes
- Users can select, sort, and compare data across multiple locations and build custom reports that can be exported to a spreadsheet for additional functionality.
- Users can explore historical census data to understand how regions change over time and use estimates and projections to analyze current and future trends.
- Combine locations and search for areas based on specific criteria.
- To save your work, you will need to create a personal workspace using your VCU email address.
- When you first use Simply Map, if you pick the “launch standard report” option there will be a short tutorial.
- Link located in the statistics section of the VCU Nursing Research Guide