VCU Massey Cancer Center physicians top Richmond Magazine’s 2012 Top Doctors list

Top-Docs.jpgPhysicians at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Massey Cancer Center were recognized as “Top Docs” in Richmond Magazine‘s April 2012 issue.

Topping the list were 33 doctors from varied specialties who provide oncology-related care to Massey’s patients. These doctors were selected through a survey of Richmond-area physicians which asked who they would recommend in a range of specialties.

“This recognition demonstrates that VCU Massey Cancer Center is providing the highest quality, coordinated cancer care advanced by our research discoveries,” said Gordon D. Ginder, M.D., director of VCU Massey Cancer Center. “All of our clinicians, including physicians, nurses and other medical professionals, are top performers in cancer care.”

“I proudly praise our doctors for leading their fields and for coming together from multiple disciplines to provide comprehensive, coordinated cancer care,” said Sheldon M. Retchin, M.D., CEO of the VCU Health System and vice president of health sciences at VCU.

The following full-time physicians were listed as top performers in the below categories:

Mitchell Anscher: radiation oncology
Doug Arthur: radiation oncology
Charles Bagwell: general surgery
Harry Bear: surgical oncology
Jonathan Bekenstein: neurology
Cecelia Boardman: gynecologic oncology
Doumit BouHaidar: gastroenterology
Anthony Cassano: cardiothoracic surgery
Weldon Chafe: gynecologic oncology
Laurie Cuttino: radiation oncology
Laurence DiNardo: otolaryngology
Algin Garrett: dermatology
Kamar Godder: oncology/hematology
R. Scott Graham: neurosurgery
B. Mayer Grob: urology
Amelia (Aimee) Grover: surgical oncology
Mary Helen Hackney: oncology and hematology
Lance Hampton: urology
Jeffrey Haynes: general surgery
Brian Kaplan: surgical oncology
Asadullah Khan: oncology/hematology
David Lanning: general surgery
Laurie Lyckholm: hospice and palliative care
Gita Massey: oncology/hematology, palliative medicine
Julia Nunley: dermatology
Claudio Oiticica: general surgery
Andrea Pozez: plastic and reconstructive surgery
Evan Reiter: otolaryngology
Wesley Shepherd: pulmonary disease
India Yount Sisler: oncology/hematology
Gary Tye: neurosurgery
Scott Vota: neurology
Harold Young: neurosurgery

This is the ninth time Richmond Magazine has conducted the survey. Past surveys were conducted in 1988, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2011.

4 thoughts on “VCU Massey Cancer Center physicians top Richmond Magazine’s 2012 Top Doctors list

1. CongrTulations to all of these outstanding professionals! Richmond is so blessed to have you!
    My personal thanks and congratulations to Mary Helen Hackney, a consummate professional , a gifted healer, and an all around amazing woman!

2. Congrtatulations to all my docs who made the list – Weldon Chafe, Douglas Arthur, Brian Kaplan, and Algin Garrett. I’m here and healthy and celebrating life every day thanks to all of you. You truly are “the BEST”.

3. I am so very proud of all of you for this top honor. I trust and adore everyone at VCUHS and the Massey Cancer Center.
    I am especially proud of Dr. DiNardo who did everything possible to help my late husband, Tom, who suffered from Oral Cancer. He showed us not only his talents, expertise and surgical skills, but he was kind, informative and patient with both Tom and me. He explained everything including options and probable outcomes for Tom and answered all of my research questions with a sense of caring that helped me cope. And with the team of Dr. DiNardo, Dr. Song and Dr. Baker, and all of your wonderful nurses, you all tried so hard to help Tom. I know in my heart you all supported me to be able to help Tom live longer and for us to love each other more than I could ever have imagined. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, and I shall never forget you.
    Thank you, Dr. DiNardo for not only your tireless care through what must seem like endless hours of surgery to help each suffering soul, but for helping me to learn, grow and finally to cope with this horrible disease. I shall always encourage screening and research for Oral Cancer.
    And Dr. DiNardo, I’m so glad you are being honored as a “Top Doc” because from the day Tom and I met you, I already knew you were just that!
    Blessings to all,
    Jean