In recognition of February as Black History Month, the VCU School of Nursing celebrates its history as one of the first schools in Virginia to provide nursing education to African American women. During the segregation era, MCV founded the St. Philip School of Nursing in 1920 to train African American women as nurses. The school graduated 791 nurses before closing in 1962, by which time the MCV School of Nursing had opened its doors to students of all races. A historical bulletin of the St. Philip School of Nursing is available online. In addition, the VCU School of Nursing captured on video stories from several St. Philip alumnae in 2012 as part of commemorating the 50th anniversary of the school’s closing. Click below to view the video.