Amy Liu, class of 2016

Amy Liu (back row, left) and the rest of the 2015 School of Pharmacy RAM team

I had the privilege to attend RAM for my second time this summer. It is amazing how much you can learn when you work with other health care providers, students and patients in three days. I had the opportunity to work with different professionals at each station. In triage I worked with nurses and nursing students; at pre-med, I worked with dentists, dental hygienists and dental students; then in pharmacy I worked with pharmacists and pharmacy students from multiple different schools.

Dental procedures being performed

Dental procedures being performed

What stood out for me this year was that I helped multiple patients get dental care as well as a medical check-up. One of my interactions was with a man who was waiting in pre-med to get a few teeth extracted. I sat down next to him and reviewed his medical history and noticed that his A1C was 12 percent. I asked him if he knew what an A1C was, and he responded, “Does that mean sugar?”

I explained that it was important for him also to get a medical checkup. The patient originally thought that he could only choose to see dental or medical but was misinformed. I went to register him for medical as he waited in line for hours for his dental procedure. At the end of the day, I saw him in pharmacy getting antibiotics for his teeth extractions as well as diabetic medications. I was very glad that he was able to get started on medications for diabetes when his main incentive for RAM was for his teeth extractions.