new education

I have a question for my more-experienced science educator colleagues out there.  OK, I understand the idea that we can all create valuable knowledge.  I certainly look to teach so that I can be “part of the bigger conversation.”  I’m sure I’ll gain as much as my students.  But in a science discipline, how do you effectively engage entry-level  students in a conversation that they supposedly know very little about?  In addition, my profession has a certification exam.  While theories and ideas are what drive new discoveries, how can I help students in an open environment in which they find the answers, or at least ask deeper questions?  I have to provide some of the foundational knowledge, and the way I was taught in grad school, it was all about understanding and application of that science-based and theoretical knowledge.  Much of the artistic flexibility of my science in the health professions is beyond the curriculum for entry-level students.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to new education

1. Jenn says:

I think you have excellent questions here. I too will be a science educator in the future, and while I likely won’t be teaching students in preparation for a certificate exam, general chemistry/biochemistry/etc seem like it would be difficult to get through all the material the students need to excel in later classes (and possibly certificate exams in professional schools). I feel like with these courses the students need to learn the basics or I will have failed them.

The only idea I have come up with thus far is to have additional “problem sessions” once a week for the course. My undergraduate biochemistry class was set up this way and it gave us a chance to ask more questions and maybe dive a little deeper into the subject without wasting the valued lecture time.

2. parkj37 says:

Sometimes we learn many things from basic equation. 1
    +1=2. 1-1+0. I do not know much about your discipline. 101 is the most fundamental course. We cannot successfully deliver the important concepts to entry level students by using the way we were taught in grad.