Countdown to “Ready, Set, Grant!”

The Virginia Commonwealth University Office of Research and Innovation is pleased to host Ready, Set, Grant! on January 12-14, 2016.VCUReadySetGrant2016_SaveTheDate_Final  These workshops will offer a broad array of information and strategies to strengthen your competitiveness for extramural funding.

Ready, Set, Grant! is a university-wide effort. The agenda, which is now being finalized, features presenters who are experts in all stages of the sponsored award life cycle. These facilitators will aim to give attendees practical instruction in grantsmanship using real-life examples, interactive formats, and actionable tips.

Workshops fall into three interest tracks:

Are You Ready? Sessions will address concerns such as: Am I ready for grant funding? What skills do I need to develop to be a competitive grant writer? Do I have a fundable project? Who at VCU can answer my questions about grantsmanship? Where can I get training?  How do I build sustainable collaborations?

Get Set… Sessions will address concerns such as: How do I find the funders? Will this funding agency be interested in my project? What is the best way to write the methods section? I have a meeting with a program officer – HELP! What happens to my proposal at the peer review stage?

Grant! Sessions will address concerns such as: What does a competitive proposal look like? How can I assist PIs in assembling competitive application packages? What are the proposal submission procedures at VCU? We didn’t get funded. Now what? How do we leverage and sustain the award?

Should you attend? Workshops are targeted particularly to new and early stage faculty investigators in all disciplines who do not have a significant track record of extramural funding, as well as the professionals who support the research enterprise. This includes: new investigators, faculty who are new-to-VCU, postdocs, proposal development staff, proposal and grant development professionals, and research and fiscal administrators. Most sessions will be open to graduate students.

Faculty and staff from VCU’s peer institutions are also encouraged to attend.

All information about Ready, Set, Grant! is available on-online. Event updates and announcements, including information on logistics and registration procedures, will be posted as it becomes available. We recommend that you subscribe to the blog in order to receive immediate notification of updates.

So mark your calendars January 12-16, 2014. We’ll see you there.

About Jessica Venable

Coordinator for Research Development Services, VCU Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation

View all posts by Jessica Venable