Jump to content
School of Medicine Virginia Commonwealth University VCU Medical Center
School of Medicine discoveries

March 31, 2013

M3 Priscilla Mpasi to serve as VP of national student group

Priscilla Mpasi

Priscilla Mpasi

The Class of 2014’s Priscilla Mpasi has been elected as national vice-president of the Student National Medical Association. She will serve a one-year term during the 2013-2014 academic year.

The SNMA held the national election for its officers at the annual conference in Louisville, Ky., on March 31. Priscilla was one of three candidates vying for the post of national VP.

“After three long, grueling days of speeches and Q&A sessions, my name was called,” Priscilla said. “I actually won. I am still in shock and I have not had much time to process as I had to come right back to my surgery rotation and focus on being a medical student. I am so excited and honored to represent our institution in this way on the national level.”

The SNMA is the oldest and largest student-run organization focused on the needs and concerns of medical students of color. Priscilla has served as president of the VCU School of Medicine’s chapter during the 2011‐2012 school year and as a regional officer with the national organization this year.

Priscilla will work alongside the national president to execute the national agenda in its commemoration year entitled “50 years: Diversifying the Face of Medicine.” As vice-president she will serve as an executive member on the board of directors, directly oversee all the national committee programs and initiatives and attend regional and national conferences to speak out on health disparities and the importance of equality in healthcare access.

Priscilla is the first nationally elected executive officer in SNMA from VCU. In 2003-2004, two faculty members were appointed national committee officers: Sala S. Webb, M.D., assistant professor of child and adolescent psychiatry, and Veronica Ayala-Sims, M.D., assistant professor of infectious diseases.