Jump to content
School of Medicine Virginia Commonwealth University VCU Medical Center
School of Medicine profiles

December 3, 2009

Augustus L. Warner (1807-1847)

warner.jpgWarner led the group of four Richmond physicians who organized the Medical Department of Hampden-Sydney College in 1838. A medical graduate of the University of Maryland, Warner taught in Baltimore and at the University of Virginia before relocating to Richmond. He served as the first dean and professor of surgery for the medical school that would become the Medical College of Virginia. Under Warner’s leadership the medical department secured a permanent home with the construction of the Egyptian Building in 1844.