We are now accepting applications for summer 2017 entry into the Accelerated B.S. program. Please take note of some significant changes to the application process this year:
The deadline to submit the application and all required credentials is September 15, 2016. A complete and qualified application consists of:
- The VCU application for admission
- The School of Nursing’s supplemental materials form, including responses to 4 new admission questions. See item #1 below for more details.
- Two (2) references – one academic and one professional. See item #2 below for more details.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, including course work taken as high school dual-enrollment, non-degree seeking study, study abroad, or course work taken and transferred to another institution (including VCU).
- SAT, ACT or GRE scores (and TOEFL or IELTS, if applicable)
1. NEW ADMISSION QUESTIONS: 4 required
The VCU School of Nursing prides itself in a rigorous curriculum that produces a baccalaureate-prepared nurse for a challenging and rewarding profession in healthcare. Successful students will be motivated, diligent and passionate about their career choice. The following questions are mandatory and will be evaluated based on organization, content and style.
- Describe your professional goals and discuss how obtaining a baccalaureate degree in nursing will help you meet your goals. Provide one specific example from your past that demonstrates how your work ethic/diligence will help you achieve these goals.
- Overcoming adversities and challenges in life provides an individual the opportunity for reflection on personal growth and resilience. Describe a significant personal, academic or professional challenge you have faced and the steps you took to address this challenge. Include whether you turned to anyone in facing that challenge, the role that person played, and what you learned about yourself.
- VCU School of Nursing is committed to sustaining a tradition of educational excellence by preparing future scholars and leaders in health care. Leadership is marked by an ability to collaborate with others, and as a nurse you will be expected to work as part of a team. Describe one example of your leadership experience in which you significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to team efforts over time.
- Community can include family, school, neighborhood, volunteer or service organizations. Provide a personal example of community engagement when you made a significant contribution to improve the lives of others. Describe your role, length of involvement and improvements made within the community.
2. NEW REFERENCE REQUIREMENTS: 2 required
References are an important part of your application because they allow individuals who know you well to speak about the characteristics we value.
The academic reference should be provided by an individual who is familiar with your academic ability and potential for success in an academically challenging program. An acceptable reference would be from a faculty member, teaching assistant or academic advisor who worked closely with you.
The professional reference should be provided by an individual who is familiar with your character and work ethic. Acceptable references would be from supervisors of paid or volunteer positions.
Examples of references that are considered personal and are not accepted are those from:
- A co-worker in a paid or volunteer position
- A family member
- A friend or neighbor, even if the individual is a healthcare professional
- A personal healthcare provider
CONTACT US WITH QUESTIONS
Please refer to our Accelerated B.S. application instructions web page for details on how to apply and contact the School of Nursing’s admissions team at VCU_Nurse@vcu.edu if you have any questions about applying. We look forward to receiving your application!