Important things to do before you leave:
- Put your signature on a 10 plain papers, write you name below it, keep these at home, they may need it for any purpose like authorization to collect marks sheets, Provisional certificate, Transfer certificate, Bonafide certificate, Degree certificate, Migration certificate from the university, applying for the refund from the college etc.
- Make all bank accounts joint so that your parents/sibs/spouse can operate them.
Things to be left at home:
- List of addresses/phone numbers at which info about you can be obtained.
- One copy of all your important documents.
- A copy of all relevant parts of medical history files.
- Arrange to collect/redirect mail from your room/hostel.
- Arrange to apply/collect/mail your transcripts (about 20 in number preferable)
- Your tailoring measurements; just in case.
- Get your application material if you wish to reactivate your applications at a better place for the next quarter/year.
- Get a set of transcripts in case you apply all over again for a MS or PhD.
- Carry medical prescription for all your medicines you bring.
- Confirm your ticket a couple of days prior to the flight directly through the airlines you are flying no matter how reputed your travel agent is.
- Let me repeat this, get a Driver’s license and an International Driving Permit (IDP) from your RTO. You can rent and drive cars in US for upto 6 months with a valid IDP.
In the last week:
- Call up and find if there is any change of the schedule of the plane (inform the people coming to pick you up of any such change).
- Get ready to face the long journey.
- Bid adieu to all concerned.
- Find out the name of the person who is coming to pick you up at the airport. Remind those people of the flight timings, airline no, your name. Inform all these to your people at home.
- Relax the day before journey, and check all the documents you are taking with you once again.
- Arrange for the conveyance if you don’t have a car. You can book with any private transport facility like City cabs.
On the day of flight and on-board:
- Since it is going to be a long flight wear something comfortable (cotton dress + full sleeves shirt)
- Check all the documents once again and keep them at appropriate places
- Be at the airport 3-4 hours before the departure
- Relax during flight, sleep as much as possible
- For vegetarians – watch out before you eat – you may get non-veg even if you had asked for vegetarian. Veg food is generally bland – fruits/juices are good choices. (Before ordering anything on board, check if you have to pay for it separately). Don’t hesitate to ask questions. On many airlines, you may give your preferences while booking the ticket.
- Airlines give I-94 form and customs declaration form during flight. Fill those forms and keep them ready to show at port of entry.
- Once out of India be very careful (from sheer experience of seniors). Don’t trust anyone. Don’t hire a taxi (unless emergency) till you reach your destination. If required don’t hesitate to spend money.