Thanks to everyone for your participation in TMLGAC this year! Please contact Karen (email@example.com) if you did not receive your honorarium in April. We will be in touch about participating in the 2014-2015 committee in the coming months.
The minutes for our April meeting are below.
- Guest: Teresa Knott
- Upcoming Events
- Coffee Breaks in TML’s foyer from 3-5pm:
Free coffee, tea and snacks!Monday, May 5 – Thursday, May 8
- Exam Break: Pet a Pooch with Dogs on Call on Monday, May 5th, from 12-1pm
- Exam Break: Massage on Tuesday, May 6th, from 12-1pm
- See http://go.vcu.edu/library-classes for more upcoming events
- Student Technology Fee (STF) Fund discussion
- Review of proposal for expending VCU Libraries’ portion of funds from the Student Technology Fee
- Feedback from committee members
- Equipment that TML should consider purchasing
- Dual monitors
- GoPro cam
- Really nice cameras — not flip video cameras — so that campus organizations can check them out to take pictures
- Technology/equipment probably can’t be shuttled between libraries, but we could rotate when each library has equipment
- Proposed Student Library Fee: $25/semester
- TML would use these funds toward:
- Extending library hours
- Hiring more library liaisons
- Updating furniture
- Funds would also be used to maintain the new library facility on the Monroe Park campus
- Alumni access to library databases
- Database access through the university’s Alumni Association is very limited, but the Alumni Association does offer a discount for Friends of the Library membership
- Joining Friends of the Library allows members to fully access library databases while in a library facility
- A committee member recommended obtaining a RALC pass to access nearby facilities for studying
- MCV Student Government Association Survey:
Review of TML’s results
- Questions from TML’s Research and Education Department
– Do you think there’s student interest in a basic, 1-hour literature review workshop? Yes, especially if it’s available online for asynchronous viewing. Online tutorials for different levels (basic vs. advanced) would be useful.
– Are you aware that librarians can help you develop search strategies for a literature review or grant proposal? Based on the feedback received, the department needs to improve marketing this service. Suggestion: Portable posters advertising these services in TML. Posters can compare user vs. librarian searches, or they can feature liaisons. Additional suggestion was made that being on the 2nd floor of the Hunton Student Center from 1-3pm instead of 11-1pm might help librarians reach their intended audience.
- Next meeting: Thursday, April 24, 2014
Note: The meeting scheduled for Thursday, February 27 was canceled due to numerous scheduling conflicts.
- Guest: Jodi Koste, University Archivist and Head, TML Special Collections and Archives
- Presentation: Tompkins-McCaw Library’s Special Collections and Archives — Collection Overview
- Agenda items
- Possible change in meeting dates. Steve will send out an email to see if meeting on Mondays or Tuesdays would work better than Thursdays for Committee members.
– New VCU Libraries website. There has been some difficulty with finding things on the new library website — seeing a list of TML classes/events was cited as one example. There was also an inquiry on how to find out about the Bridging Campus Networks (i.e. free pizza) events at TML. Karen followed up on this inquiry and was told that TML would advertise this event through its FaceBook page in the future.
– Upcoming classes/events at VCU Libraries: See http://www.library.vcu.edu/services/classes-workshops/.
- Next meeting: Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 12pm in the 1st floor Conference Room at Tompkins-McCaw Library
Margaret Henderson, Director of Research Data Management, was unable to attend this meeting due to illness. We will see if we can coordinate a meeting with her later this semester. Big thanks to Jodi Koste for her fascinating presentation on TML’s Special Collections and Archives, especially given such short notice!
1. Upcoming Event: Exam Breaks at Tompkins-McCaw Library, from 12-1pm
- 12/9: Yoga (Special Collections & Archives Reading Room)
- 12/10: Tai Chi (Special Collections & Archives Reading Room)
- 12/11: Chair Massages (1st floor Conference Room)
- 12/12: Yoga (Special Collections & Archives Reading Room)
2. Open Discussion
3. Next Meeting: Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 12pm in the 1st floor Conference Room at Tompkins-McCaw Library
See you after the holidays!
1. Guests: Erin White, Web Systems Librarian; Joseph Figaro, Web Applications Designer.
2. Upcoming Events
- Invitation to attend Tompkins-McCaw Library’s Thanksgiving lunch on 11/21/13
- Exam Breaks at Tompkins-McCaw Library, from 12-1pm
- 12/9: Yoga
- 12/10: Tai Chi
- 12/11: Chair Massages
- 12/12: Yoga
3. Usability Testing on the new VCU Libraries website
- Students were asked to complete tasks on the beta version of the new VCU Libraries website and share their observations. Thanks for everyone’s participation!
4. Next meeting: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 12pm in the 1st floor Conference Room at Tompkins-McCaw Library
Note: A question about the library’s Document Delivery Services was brought up during our last meeting. When articles and book chapters are not available electronically but are part of the VCU Libraries’ print collection, you can pay $5 to have it delivered to you electronically. (This service is free for distance-learning students.) A list of the VCU Libraries’ Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Services fees is available online.