- MCV Student Government Association Survey:
Review of TML’s results
- Questions from TML’s Research and Education Department
- Do you think there’s student interest in a basic, 1-hour literature review workshop? Yes, especially if it’s available online for asynchronous viewing. Online tutorials for different levels (basic vs. advanced) would be useful.
- Are you aware that librarians can help you develop search strategies for a literature review or grant proposal? Based on the feedback received, the department needs to improve marketing this service. Suggestion: Portable posters advertising these services in TML. Posters can compare user vs. librarian searches, or they can feature liaisons. Additional suggestion was made that being on the 2nd floor of the Hunton Student Center from 1-3pm instead of 11-1pm might help librarians reach their intended audience.
- Next meeting: Thursday, April 24, 2014
Note: The meeting scheduled for Thursday, February 27 was canceled due to numerous scheduling conflicts.
- Guest: Jodi Koste, University Archivist and Head, TML Special Collections and Archives
- Presentation: Tompkins-McCaw Library’s Special Collections and Archives — Collection Overview
- Agenda items
- Possible change in meeting dates. Steve will send out an email to see if meeting on Mondays or Tuesdays would work better than Thursdays for Committee members.
- New VCU Libraries website. There has been some difficulty with finding things on the new library website — seeing a list of TML classes/events was cited as one example. There was also an inquiry on how to find out about the Bridging Campus Networks (i.e. free pizza) events at TML. Karen followed up on this inquiry and was told that TML would advertise this event through its FaceBook page in the future.
- Upcoming classes/events at VCU Libraries: See http://www.library.vcu.edu/services/classes-workshops/.
- Next meeting: Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 12pm in the 1st floor Conference Room at Tompkins-McCaw Library
Margaret Henderson, Director of Research Data Management, was unable to attend this meeting due to illness. We will see if we can coordinate a meeting with her later this semester. Big thanks to Jodi Koste for her fascinating presentation on TML’s Special Collections and Archives, especially given such short notice!
1. Upcoming Event: Exam Breaks at Tompkins-McCaw Library, from 12-1pm
- 12/9: Yoga (Special Collections & Archives Reading Room)
- 12/10: Tai Chi (Special Collections & Archives Reading Room)
- 12/11: Chair Massages (1st floor Conference Room)
- 12/12: Yoga (Special Collections & Archives Reading Room)
2. Open Discussion
3. Next Meeting: Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 12pm in the 1st floor Conference Room at Tompkins-McCaw Library
See you after the holidays!
1. Guests: Erin White, Web Systems Librarian; Joseph Figaro, Web Applications Designer.
2. Upcoming Events
- Invitation to attend Tompkins-McCaw Library’s Thanksgiving lunch on 11/21/13
- Exam Breaks at Tompkins-McCaw Library, from 12-1pm
- 12/9: Yoga
- 12/10: Tai Chi
- 12/11: Chair Massages
- 12/12: Yoga
3. Usability Testing on the new VCU Libraries website
- Students were asked to complete tasks on the beta version of the new VCU Libraries website and share their observations. Thanks for everyone’s participation!
4. Next meeting: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 12pm in the 1st floor Conference Room at Tompkins-McCaw Library
Note: A question about the library’s Document Delivery Services was brought up during our last meeting. When articles and book chapters are not available electronically but are part of the VCU Libraries’ print collection, you can pay $5 to have it delivered to you electronically. (This service is free for distance-learning students.) A list of the VCU Libraries’ Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Services fees is available online.
As mentioned in the committee meeting on September 26, the VCU Writing Center began holding office hours at Tompkins-McCaw Library on August 27. Consultants are available in Room 2-010 on Tuesday and Thursday of each week from 12:00 to 6:00 p.m. Print the flyer!
Please share with your classmates!
2. Follow-Up from previous meeting
- Joining TMLGAC Next Year – Emily will be sending out an interest form in joining TMLGAC next year. This form is not a commitment but to help know who would like to be on the committee next year.
- Upcoming Events
- Study Breaks – May 6th to 9th 3-5PM
- Dogs on Call – May 7th Noon
3. Open Discussion
- STF Funding Approval
- T. Knott introduced the proposed Student Technology Fee list to the members of the Tompkins-McCaw Graduate Advisory Committee. She explained how the students a portion of their tuition is allocated to this fee and it is used outfit the university with technology. The VCU Libraries’ goal is to create a technology environment filled with contemporary tools for students to discover, learn, create and grow.
- T. Knott explained how it is the libraries intention to upgrade and recycle many public computer stations, add a charging station for mobile devices and add materials for Tompkins-McCaw’s Consultation Suite.
- The students were very interested in Macs computers added to the list. They expressed how they use Macs in their labs in their respected schools so they would like to access them here in the library. We explained some of the issues we have with our networking with desktop Macs. We are working around this issue with adding Macbooks to our list. They will be available for checkout like our other laptops.
- The students expressed some concern over the equipment intended for the Innovative Media Studio. They wanted to know about the groups who would use these materials. They also expressed concerns over the scalability of these services. The 3D printer would be a one-time cost but the materials used to produce the product could be expensive. This is something the libraries are going to investigate further with the addition of new position of Head of the Innovative Media Studio.
- One student expressed her want for a Clinical System Prototype. This would provide students with an example Electronic Health Record in a neutral setting. This could also be used to leverage the promotion of more Interprofessional Education opportunities on the MCV campus. This might be added to a future STF list.
- TMLGAC Improvement Discussion
- Thank you to our group for offering candid suggestions for possible improvements to the TMLGAC next year.
- From the feedback, there is a need for more summarization prior to the meetings about recurring topics we cover in TMLGAC. This is especially important with committee members who have been part of the committee for many years.
- The setting of goals at the beginning of the year could help with engagement in work with TMLGAC. The work will then be reflected in a “record of improvement” throughout the year.
- For those who are new member of TMLGAC, an orientation with previous work accomplished by the TMLGAC should be provided. Emily will work on this during the summer for the incoming members.
- The Cabell Undergraduate Advisory Committee has a service component to their committee work. From your suggestions, there will be no requirement of participation but an invitation to possibly post an item on our TML News blog or to help at a Library Event. These invitations will be sensitive to the demands on your time and requested well before the event date.
- If you have any other suggestions, please email Emily with your idea.
Time & Location – Noon, 1st Floor Conference Room, Tompkins-McCaw Library
- Follow-Up from previous meeting
- Joining TMLGAC Next Year
- Study Breaks
- Open Discussion
- STF Funding Approval
- TMLGAC Improvement Discussion
Time & Location – Noon, 1st Floor
Conference Room, Tompkins-McCaw Library
from previous meeting
TMLGAC Next Year
Libraries Website Redesign – Guest: Erin White
Meeting: Wednesday, April 18th, 2013 - Conference
Room – 1st Floor – Tompkins-McCaw Library