Category Archives: Meeting Minutes

Meeting Minutes – September 25, 2014

  1. Welcome to TMLGAC
  2. Guest: Teresa Knott, Director, TML and Associate University Librarian
    • Student Technology Fee. Goes toward technologies for student use:
      - Update computers in public areas
      - Perform upgrades to study rooms, etc.
    • Higher Education Equipment Trust Fund (HEETF). Still awaiting information on which TML requests were approved
      • Student Library Fee (new)
        - Extended TML hours started on September 2, 2014
        - What do students want to see improved in our physical library facility?
        - Some suggested uses for the Student Library Fee at TML include:
        —-> Replacing the chairs and soft seating on the 1st floor
        —-> Replacing our current tables with ones that can move around easily
        —-> Adding electrical outlets with USB plugs to every carrel in the stacks
        —-> Adding more liaison librarians
  3. Open discussion
    • Study space
      - Some students prefer to quietly study with others (vs. in isolation)
      - A white noise machine in the stacks might be helpful
    • Research poster support
      - Suggestion for TML to hold research poster workshops once a semester
      - Printing posters
      —-> TML has a large format printer
      —-> PhD Posters was also recommended
  4. Scholars Compass is a publishing platform for the intellectual output of VCU’s academic, research, and administrative communities.  It includes research posters, theses and dissertations, published and unpublished faculty research, and more.
  5. Request for statistics consulting services at the library
    - Suggestion to inquire with SoP or other schools on whether their Statistics TAs would be interested in offering their services at TML
    - Graduate students can receive 5 hours of free consulting at the Statistics and Analytics Consulting Lab
  6. Upcoming Sanger Series lecture: Science and the World’s Future with Bruce Alberts. Tuesday, 10/21/14 at 12:00 pm, starting with a light lunch at 11:15am. RSVP required.

Meeting Minutes – April 24, 2014

Thanks to everyone for your participation in TMLGAC this year!   Please contact Karen (gaukh@vcu.edu) if you did not receive your honorarium in April.  We will be in touch about participating in the 2014-2015 committee in the coming months.

The minutes for our April meeting are below.

  1. Guest: Teresa Knott
  2. Upcoming Events
    • Coffee Breaks in TML’s foyer from 3-5pm:
      Free coffee, tea and snacks!Monday, May 5 – Thursday, May 8
    • Exam Break: Pet a Pooch with Dogs on Call on Monday, May 5th, from 12-1pm
    • Exam Break: Massage on Tuesday, May 6th, from 12-1pm
    • See http://go.vcu.edu/library-classes for more upcoming events
  3. Student Technology Fee (STF) Fund discussion

    • Review of proposal for expending VCU Libraries’ portion of funds from the Student Technology Fee
    • Feedback from committee members
      • Equipment that TML should consider purchasing
        • Dual monitors
        • GoPro cam
        • Really nice cameras — not flip video cameras — so that campus organizations can check them out to take pictures
      • Technology/equipment probably can’t be shuttled between libraries, but we could rotate when each library has equipment
  4. Proposed Student Library Fee: $25/semester
    • TML would use these funds toward:
      • Extending library hours
      • Hiring more library liaisons
      • Updating furniture
    • Funds would also be used to maintain the new library facility on the Monroe Park campus
  5. Miscellaneous
    • Alumni access to library databases
      • Database access through the university’s Alumni Association is very limited, but the Alumni Association does offer a discount for Friends of the Library membership
      • Joining Friends of the Library allows members to fully access library databases while in a library facility
    • A committee member recommended obtaining a RALC pass to access nearby facilities for studying

Meeting Minutes – March 26, 2014

  1. MCV Student Government Association Survey:
    Review of TML’s results
  2. Questions from TML’s Research and Education Department
    Do you think there’s student interest in a basic, 1-hour literature review workshop?  Yes, especially if it’s available online for asynchronous viewing.  Online tutorials for different levels (basic vs. advanced) would be useful.
    Are you aware that librarians can help you develop search strategies for a literature review or grant proposal?  Based on the feedback received, the department needs to improve marketing this service.  Suggestion: Portable posters advertising these services in TML.  Posters can compare user vs. librarian searches, or they can feature liaisons.  Additional suggestion was made that being on the 2nd floor of the Hunton Student Center from 1-3pm instead of 11-1pm might help librarians reach their intended audience.
  3. Next meeting: Thursday, April 24, 2014

Note: The meeting scheduled for Thursday, February 27 was canceled due to numerous scheduling conflicts.

Meeting Minutes – January 23, 2014

  1. Guest: Jodi Koste, University Archivist and Head, TML Special Collections and Archives
  2. Presentation: Tompkins-McCaw Library’s Special Collections and Archives — Collection Overview
  3. Agenda items
    -  Possible change in meeting dates. Steve will send out an email to see if meeting on Mondays or Tuesdays would work better than Thursdays for Committee members.
    -  New VCU Libraries website. There has been some difficulty with finding things on the new library website — seeing a list of TML classes/events was cited as one example.  There was also an inquiry on how to find out about the Bridging Campus Networks (i.e. free pizza) events at TML.  Karen followed up on this inquiry and was told that TML would advertise this event through its FaceBook page in the future.
    -  Upcoming classes/events at VCU Libraries: See http://www.library.vcu.edu/services/classes-workshops/.
  4. Next meeting: Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 12pm in the 1st floor Conference Room at Tompkins-McCaw Library

Margaret Henderson, Director of Research Data Management, was unable to attend this meeting due to illness.  We will see if we can coordinate a meeting with her later this semester.  Big thanks to Jodi Koste for her fascinating presentation on TML’s Special Collections and Archives, especially given such short notice!

Meeting Minutes – October 24, 2013

  1. Guest: John Ulmschneider, University Librarian, VCU Libraries
  2. Programming and service ideas
    • TML now has loanable display adapters. Steve is working on getting some small presentation remotes.
    • Presentation skills speaker: Janet Rodgers, who recently held a “Podium Pizzaz” workshop for VCU Librarians, would be interested in hosting a presentation skills workshop for health sciences students.
    • Promotional materials for The Writing Center @ TML were handed out.
  3. Open Discussion
    • TML’s purchase of a Keurig is underway. The Inter Health Professionals Alliance will not be able to maintain the proposed coffee area, but they are interested in having a bulletin board in that area for event promotions.
    • Cabell Library update: When construction is complete (~August 2015), Cabell Library will have a dedicated space for faculty and graduate students on the top level.
      • VCU is trying to improve its services for graduate students; John U. stated that university leaders see the future of VCU in its graduate students.
      • John U. stressed that the current focus on Cabell does not mean that TML’s needs are being ignored. TML upgrades will be considered once Cabell’s construction is underway.
        • TML needs more windows
        • TML needs to have more space for its students
        • **Perhaps an upgrade could include vegetation on the roof?**
    • Students don’t feel a connection to the other campus, which has a different culture and curriculum structure.
    • Safety
      • Statistically, MCV is a safer campus compared to Monroe Park.
      • There was a request for escorts to parking decks. If Escort Services is unable to help with this request, this issue should be brought to the attention of the Associate Dean of a student’s respective campus, or Dr. Napoleon Peoples.
    • VCU Website: Can a direct link to TML’s website be added to VCU’s front page? John U.’s answer was that this request has already been made and that it’s unlikely to happen.

Meeting Minutes – September 26, 2013

  1. Welcome
  2. Introductions
    • TMLGAC Advisors:
      • Shannon Jones,  Associate Director, Research & Education
      • Steve Barkley, TML Operations Librarian
    • Committee Members
    • Guest: Teresa L. Knott, Director, Tompkins-McCaw Library and Associate University Librarian, VCU Libraries
      • Per suggestions from committee members, TML is now open until 10pm from Monday-Thursday.  After 8pm, IDs are checked and fines cannot be paid.  The library will evaluate whether to continue these hours in the spring.
      • TML is considering whether to purchase a Keurig coffee brewer, which would be kept near the vending machines.  Students could purchase K-cups from the Service Desk.  Maintenance of the area and inventory of coffee extras (such as creamer, sugar, and stirrers) would need to be managed by another party.  Potential groups that might be interested include the Inter Health Professionals Alliance or student groups from the School of Dentistry.
      • Still trying to gauge interest and funding for a mural on the 2nd floor of TML near the elevators.
      • Next major exhibit at TML is Discover Magic: Photographs by Jeanne Schlesinger.  Jeanne Schlesinger is the director of instructional development for the VCU School of Medicine.  Opening reception is on October 17, 2013, at 5:30pm.
      • Rams Reaching Out photography contest: Best Overall & Best Photograph were tied.
      • The committee suggested last year that TML should offer writing help; the Writing Center is now at TML on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 12-6pm.  See http://guides.library.vcu.edu/tmlwritingcenter
  3. TMLGAC
  4. Programming ideas and co-sponsorship for 2013-2014
    • Possible theme for a photography contest next spring: microscopic images.  This contest would be open to faculty and students, as well as the Life Sciences department on the Monroe Park campus.
    • Exhibit ideas?  Suggestion: radiology exhibit.
    • Lunch talks.  (Students mentioned that the key to good attendance is free food.)
      • Stress relief: Possible co-sponsorship with School of Medicine and CHEC
        Yoga (free through Rec Sports)
        3-minute massages
      • Presentation tips
        - Possible presenter: Janet Rogers from Podium Pizzazz
        Presenting on rounds
      • Dog on call: Would like to do this again in the spring, but the organization is having budget issues.
  5. Open Discussion
    • There was a request to receive minutes before the next meeting so that everyone is on the same page
    • Some students don’t like having windows in the study room doors on the 2nd floor of TML.  The librarians explained that they are there for safety reasons and so that others know when a room is being used.
    • There is strong support for modernizing the study rooms on the 2nd floor of TML.  Committee feedback:
      • Do not lose space during renovations since rooms are already small
      • Plugs in tables aren’t useful – just make electricity available
      • In general, keeping desks/tables clear is desirable
      • Use outlets with a regular plug and USB connection
    • Making connectors available for checkout at the Service Desk is useful
    • Quiet vs. loud study areas are largely determined by students, not librarians

Meeting Minutes – April 18th, 2013

1. Welcome

2. Follow-Up from previous meeting

  • Joining TMLGAC Next Year – Emily will be sending out an interest form in joining TMLGAC next year.  This form is not a commitment but to help know who would like to be on the committee next year.
  • Upcoming Events
  • Study Breaks – May 6th to 9th 3-5PM
  • Dogs on Call – May 7th Noon

3. Open Discussion

  • STF Funding Approval
  • T. Knott introduced the proposed Student Technology Fee list to the members of the Tompkins-McCaw Graduate Advisory Committee.  She explained how the students a portion of their tuition is allocated to this fee and it is used outfit the university with technology.  The VCU Libraries’ goal is to create a technology environment filled with contemporary tools for students to discover, learn, create and grow. 
  • T. Knott explained how it is the libraries intention to upgrade and recycle many public computer stations, add a charging station for mobile devices and add materials for Tompkins-McCaw’s Consultation Suite.
  • The students were very interested in Macs computers added to the list.  They expressed how they use Macs in their labs in their respected schools so they would like to access them here in the library.  We explained some of the issues we have with our networking with desktop Macs.  We are working around this issue with adding Macbooks to our list.  They will be available for checkout like our other laptops.
  • The students expressed some concern over the equipment intended for the Innovative Media Studio.  They wanted to know about the groups who would use these materials.  They also expressed concerns over the scalability of these services.  The 3D printer would be a one-time cost but the materials used to produce the product could be expensive.  This is something the libraries are going to investigate further with the addition of new position of Head of the Innovative Media Studio.
  • One student expressed her want for a Clinical System Prototype.  This would provide students with an example Electronic Health Record in a neutral setting.  This could also be used to leverage the promotion of more Interprofessional Education opportunities on the MCV campus.  This might be added to a future STF list.
  • TMLGAC Improvement Discussion
  • Thank you to our group for offering candid suggestions for possible improvements to the TMLGAC next year. 
  • From the feedback, there is a need for more summarization prior to the meetings about recurring topics we cover in TMLGAC.  This is especially important with committee members who have been part of the committee for many years. 
  • The setting of goals at the beginning of the year could help with engagement in work with TMLGAC.  The work will then be reflected in a “record of improvement” throughout the year.
  • For those who are new member of TMLGAC, an orientation with previous work accomplished by the TMLGAC should be provided.  Emily will work on this during the summer for the incoming members.
  • The Cabell Undergraduate Advisory Committee has a service component to their committee work.  From your suggestions, there will be no requirement of participation but an invitation to possibly post an item on our TML News blog or to help at a Library Event.  These invitations will be sensitive to the demands on your time and requested well before the event date.
  • If you have any other suggestions, please email Emily with your idea.

Meeting Minutes – February 21th, 2013

1)      Welcome

2)      Follow-up &
Announcements

a)      New Scanner – There is a
new scanner located on the first floor replacing the old document scanner.  This new one allows you to scan on a flatbed
scanner or a document feeder with many options to save documents.

b)      Please take Web Redesign Survey - This is a quick survey for our Website
Redesign project.  We will be visited by
our Web Systems Librarian, Erin White in March to talk about the redesign
project.

c)      Issues with Library Systems
- The library has been going through a systems transition and have been
experiencing issues with our Get-it @ VCU and Interlibrary Loan systems.  Please be patient with us and try to report
issues as they present themselves.  We
appreciate your feedback on this.

d)      LibQual+ Reminder – The
LibQual+ Survey will be released in late March. 
If you receive this survey, please take it.  It is one of the only ways the libraries are
able to receive feedback throughout the year.

e)      Upcoming Meetings – Please
look at your schedules for the next meeting dates for potential conflicts.  Thursdays, March 21st and April 18th
are the upcoming meeting dates.  I am
willing to be flexible if there are many conflicts for one of those dates.

3)      Open Discussion

a)      STF & HEETF Funding -
The VCU Libraries must create a list of items to request for technology for the
next fiscal year.  This list is to attain
STF funding for different technology in the library.  The students expressed interest in:

i)       
Mac computers

ii)      Dual monitors for some
computers

iii)    Search stations for all
floors of the library – this will allow you to access the VCU Libraries Search
to look for call numbers or stack volumes. 
This could be either a computer or maybe even a mounted tablet.

iv)    Upgrade older computers so
they may run properly.

v)      Per the suggestion of a tablet
cart for checkout during class sessions, the students thought it was a good
idea but were concerned about the tablets being too locked down.  They wanted to see note-taking tools on the
tablets as well as the ability to use their own tablet if they have one.  These are some potential challenges the
library will have to think of if a tablet cart is purchased.

b)      Presenter – Jodi Koste,
Archivist – Jodi did a short overview of the history of MCV and the collections
of historical artifacts in Special Collections at TML.  Feel free to contact her if you have any
questions about special collections.

Next Meeting: March 21st,
2013 @ Noon in the 1st Floor Conference Room 

Meeting Minutes – Jan 17th, 2013

1)   
Welcome

2)   
Announcements

A) Renovations

1)   
TML has many renovations happing in
the building this winter.  We have had
the stacks carrels painted and desk tops replaced.  The restroom stalls on the basement and 2nd
floor have been replaced.  The bathroom
sinks counter on the first floor has been replaced.  And last but not least, the entry stairs are
being replaced.  We apologize for the
noise as these renovations continue.

3)   
Follow-up from Previous Meetings

A)  
Attendance

1)   
I will be sending out Google
Calendar invites for the meetings in addition to the agenda.  As a person who lives by her Google Calendar,
I hope it will help with organizing your schedules and to know when the
meetings are.

4)   
Programming

A)  
Potential programming ideas from the
last meeting have been paired with potential VCU partners to produce the
programming.  We hope to have some of
this programming arranged for the late spring and new school year.

5)   
Guest – Ronke Lawal – LibQual+
Survey Question feedback

A)  
We posted a group
of questions
which will be asked on the new LibQual+ Survey the library will
be implementing in the spring of 2013.  Many
gave feedback regarding electronic access to materials was good but felt it was
a bit confusing finding journals in print in the library.  We will explore potential options to make it
clearer in the VCU Libraries Search results on how to get print journals.  The Interlibrary Loan time frame was also
brought up for discussion.   It is hard for us to gauge when a request is submitted
to when it is going to be fill because we are dependent upon other libraries to
fill those requests.  These records are
monitored to see if there is a need to purchase a frequently requested item to
add to the VCU Libraries collection.

B)  
If you receive this survey in the
spring, please take it.  The library does
not survey often so when we do, it is important to capture as much information
as possible.  There will be a chance to
win an iPad or a Barnes and Noble Gift Card. 
Every survey taken will donate $1 to the Central Virginia Food Bank.

6)   
Next
Meeting: February 21st, 2103 @ Noon in the 1st Floor
Conference Room

Meeting Minutes – December 6, 2012

1)  
Welcome

2)  
Follow-Up from
previous meeting

a)   
Attendance

i)    
It has been difficult
to accommodate the absences from previous TMLGAC meetings with up to 5
students missing a meeting.  Different meeting times during the day, or
giving optional times to meet has been proposed.  Emily will be more
consistent with updating the Facebook page more with meeting dates and will be
more flexible with the meeting times regarding mid-terms and finals for the
March and April meetings. 

3)  
Programming – Guest -
Shannon D. Jones, Associate Director, Research & Education

a)   
Types of Programming

i)    
Many types of
programming were suggested to promote goals of lifelong learning.  These
ranged from online, asynchronous tutorials for CE credit to workshops
on financial aid.  Many of the programs have to potential for the library
to partner with another VCU entities including the Writing Center, CCTR, etc.
 The library will be investigating many of these mentioned programs to see
if many of them could be offered through the library.

b)  
Marketing of Programming

i)    
It is essential for the
library to know where to advertise our programming.  We will continue to
advertise on Facebook and through the VCU Calendar.  Thank you for sharing
contacts you receive emails from in your school.  This will help us
advertise our programs directly to the schools.

4)  
Open Discussion

a)    Coursera and CITI
training
was discussed as model for online courses.