Meeting Minutes – October 20, 2016
Erin White, Head of Digital Engagement
Topic: Digital Initiatives and Library Website
Erin discussed the issues with communicating ebook restrictions to library users and faculty members. Affordable course content was also briefly discussed.
Several members had suggestions to improve the study room reservation system. Reservation rules should be more evident on the reservation page. Some study rooms should be reservable only by graduate/professional students.
Some members expressed a preference for the new exclusive study area for graduate students at Cabell Library. Some suggestions to improve that space included better soundproofing to keep out noise from the Compass and from neighboring study rooms.
Alison and Erin also led a journey exercise to help reflect on how students use online library resources.
Members of the committee were all invited to the TML Thanksgiving Feast on November 17th at noon.
The next meeting is scheduled for December 8th.
Our meeting dates for the coming year are listed below. If any changes to the schedule are necessary we will also follow up via email.
TML GAC Schedule 2016-2017:
- Oct. 20
- Dec. 8
- Jan. 19
- Feb. 16
- Mar. 16
- Apr. 20
- MCV Student Government Association Survey:
Review of TML’s results
- Questions from TML’s Research and Education Department
– Do you think there’s student interest in a basic, 1-hour literature review workshop? Yes, especially if it’s available online for asynchronous viewing. Online tutorials for different levels (basic vs. advanced) would be useful.
– Are you aware that librarians can help you develop search strategies for a literature review or grant proposal? Based on the feedback received, the department needs to improve marketing this service. Suggestion: Portable posters advertising these services in TML. Posters can compare user vs. librarian searches, or they can feature liaisons. Additional suggestion was made that being on the 2nd floor of the Hunton Student Center from 1-3pm instead of 11-1pm might help librarians reach their intended audience.
- Next meeting: Thursday, April 24, 2014
Note: The meeting scheduled for Thursday, February 27 was canceled due to numerous scheduling conflicts.
1. Upcoming Event: Exam Breaks at Tompkins-McCaw Library, from 12-1pm
- 12/9: Yoga (Special Collections & Archives Reading Room)
- 12/10: Tai Chi (Special Collections & Archives Reading Room)
- 12/11: Chair Massages (1st floor Conference Room)
- 12/12: Yoga (Special Collections & Archives Reading Room)
2. Open Discussion
3. Next Meeting: Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 12pm in the 1st floor Conference Room at Tompkins-McCaw Library
See you after the holidays!
1. Guests: Erin White, Web Systems Librarian; Joseph Figaro, Web Applications Designer.
2. Upcoming Events
- Invitation to attend Tompkins-McCaw Library’s Thanksgiving lunch on 11/21/13
- Exam Breaks at Tompkins-McCaw Library, from 12-1pm
- 12/9: Yoga
- 12/10: Tai Chi
- 12/11: Chair Massages
- 12/12: Yoga
3. Usability Testing on the new VCU Libraries website
- Students were asked to complete tasks on the beta version of the new VCU Libraries website and share their observations. Thanks for everyone’s participation!
4. Next meeting: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 12pm in the 1st floor Conference Room at Tompkins-McCaw Library
Note: A question about the library’s Document Delivery Services was brought up during our last meeting. When articles and book chapters are not available electronically but are part of the VCU Libraries’ print collection, you can pay $5 to have it delivered to you electronically. (This service is free for distance-learning students.) A list of the VCU Libraries’ Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Services fees is available online.
Time & Location – Noon, 1st Floor Conference Room, Tompkins-McCaw Library
- Follow-Up from previous meeting
- Joining TMLGAC Next Year
- Study Breaks
- Open Discussion
- STF Funding Approval
- TMLGAC Improvement Discussion