Agenda – April 18th, 2013

Time & Location РNoon, 1st Floor Conference Room, Tompkins-McCaw Library

  1. Welcome
  2. Follow-Up from previous meeting
    1. Joining TMLGAC Next Year
    2. Study Breaks
  3. Open Discussion
    1. STF Funding Approval
    2. TMLGAC Improvement Discussion
    3. Other

Agenda – March 21st, 2013

Time & Location – Noon, 1st Floor
Conference Room, Tompkins-McCaw Library

1.   
Welcome

2.   
Follow-Up
from previous meeting

a.   
Joining
TMLGAC Next Year

b.   
Award
Fund

3.   
Open
Discussion

a.   
VCU
Libraries Website Redesign – Guest: Erin White

b.   
Other

Next
Meeting: Wednesday, April 18th, 2013  - Conference
Room – 1st Floor – Tompkins-McCaw Library

Meeting Minutes – February 21th, 2013

1)      Welcome

2)      Follow-up &
Announcements

a)      New Scanner – There is a
new scanner located on the first floor replacing the old document scanner.  This new one allows you to scan on a flatbed
scanner or a document feeder with many options to save documents.

b)      Please take Web Redesign Survey - This is a quick survey for our Website
Redesign project.  We will be visited by
our Web Systems Librarian, Erin White in March to talk about the redesign
project.

c)      Issues with Library Systems
- The library has been going through a systems transition and have been
experiencing issues with our Get-it @ VCU and Interlibrary Loan systems.  Please be patient with us and try to report
issues as they present themselves.  We
appreciate your feedback on this.

d)      LibQual+ Reminder – The
LibQual+ Survey will be released in late March. 
If you receive this survey, please take it.  It is one of the only ways the libraries are
able to receive feedback throughout the year.

e)      Upcoming Meetings – Please
look at your schedules for the next meeting dates for potential conflicts.  Thursdays, March 21st and April 18th
are the upcoming meeting dates.  I am
willing to be flexible if there are many conflicts for one of those dates.

3)      Open Discussion

a)      STF & HEETF Funding -
The VCU Libraries must create a list of items to request for technology for the
next fiscal year.  This list is to attain
STF funding for different technology in the library.  The students expressed interest in:

i)       
Mac computers

ii)      Dual monitors for some
computers

iii)    Search stations for all
floors of the library – this will allow you to access the VCU Libraries Search
to look for call numbers or stack volumes. 
This could be either a computer or maybe even a mounted tablet.

iv)    Upgrade older computers so
they may run properly.

v)      Per the suggestion of a tablet
cart for checkout during class sessions, the students thought it was a good
idea but were concerned about the tablets being too locked down.  They wanted to see note-taking tools on the
tablets as well as the ability to use their own tablet if they have one.  These are some potential challenges the
library will have to think of if a tablet cart is purchased.

b)      Presenter – Jodi Koste,
Archivist – Jodi did a short overview of the history of MCV and the collections
of historical artifacts in Special Collections at TML.  Feel free to contact her if you have any
questions about special collections.

Next Meeting: March 21st,
2013 @ Noon in the 1st Floor Conference Room 

Meeting Minutes – Jan 17th, 2013

1)   
Welcome

2)   
Announcements

A) Renovations

1)   
TML has many renovations happing in
the building this winter.  We have had
the stacks carrels painted and desk tops replaced.  The restroom stalls on the basement and 2nd
floor have been replaced.  The bathroom
sinks counter on the first floor has been replaced.  And last but not least, the entry stairs are
being replaced.  We apologize for the
noise as these renovations continue.

3)   
Follow-up from Previous Meetings

A)  
Attendance

1)   
I will be sending out Google
Calendar invites for the meetings in addition to the agenda.  As a person who lives by her Google Calendar,
I hope it will help with organizing your schedules and to know when the
meetings are.

4)   
Programming

A)  
Potential programming ideas from the
last meeting have been paired with potential VCU partners to produce the
programming.  We hope to have some of
this programming arranged for the late spring and new school year.

5)   
Guest – Ronke Lawal – LibQual+
Survey Question feedback

A)  
We posted a group
of questions
which will be asked on the new LibQual+ Survey the library will
be implementing in the spring of 2013.  Many
gave feedback regarding electronic access to materials was good but felt it was
a bit confusing finding journals in print in the library.  We will explore potential options to make it
clearer in the VCU Libraries Search results on how to get print journals.  The Interlibrary Loan time frame was also
brought up for discussion.   It is hard for us to gauge when a request is submitted
to when it is going to be fill because we are dependent upon other libraries to
fill those requests.  These records are
monitored to see if there is a need to purchase a frequently requested item to
add to the VCU Libraries collection.

B)  
If you receive this survey in the
spring, please take it.  The library does
not survey often so when we do, it is important to capture as much information
as possible.  There will be a chance to
win an iPad or a Barnes and Noble Gift Card. 
Every survey taken will donate $1 to the Central Virginia Food Bank.

6)   
Next
Meeting: February 21st, 2103 @ Noon in the 1st Floor
Conference Room

Questions for Jan 17th Meeting

Sorry for the late
notice but we have had an addition to our agenda this Thursday.  Ronke Lawal, who will be implementing
LibQual+ this Spring 2013, is soliciting feedback on how you go about answering
the questions on the survey.  She has
given three sample questions for us to examine.

Think
about your baseline expectations for the services presented and come prepared
to discuss how you would answer these questions.  Please take a look at
the sample prompt and questions below:


Please rate the
following statements (1 is lowest, 9 is highest) by indicating:

Minimum: For each question,
indicate the number that represents the minimum level of
service that you would find acceptable

Desired: the number that
represents the level of service that you personally want

Perceived - the number that
represents the level of service that you believe our library
currently provides


When it comes to:

IC-1- Making
electronic resources accessible from my home or office

My minimum service
level is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

My Desired service
level is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Perceived service
performance is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

 

When it comes to:

IC-2 – A library Website
enabling me to locate information on my own

My minimum service
level is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

My Desired service
level is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Perceived service
performance is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

 

When it comes to:

IC-8 – Print and/or
electronic journal collections I require for my work

My minimum service
level is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

My Desired service
level is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Perceived service
performance is: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9


We
greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you on Thursday.

 

Agenda – January 17th, 2013

1)   
Welcome

2)   
Announcements

a)   
Renovations

3)   
Follow-up from
Previous Meetings

a)   
Attendance

4)   
Programming

5) Guest – Ronke Lawal – LibQual+ Survey Question feedback

6)   
Open Discussion

Meeting Minutes – December 6, 2012

1)  
Welcome

2)  
Follow-Up from
previous meeting

a)   
Attendance

i)    
It has been difficult
to accommodate the absences from previous TMLGAC meetings with up to 5
students missing a meeting.  Different meeting times during the day, or
giving optional times to meet has been proposed.  Emily will be more
consistent with updating the Facebook page more with meeting dates and will be
more flexible with the meeting times regarding mid-terms and finals for the
March and April meetings. 

3)  
Programming – Guest -
Shannon D. Jones, Associate Director, Research & Education

a)   
Types of Programming

i)    
Many types of
programming were suggested to promote goals of lifelong learning.  These
ranged from online, asynchronous tutorials for CE credit to workshops
on financial aid.  Many of the programs have to potential for the library
to partner with another VCU entities including the Writing Center, CCTR, etc.
 The library will be investigating many of these mentioned programs to see
if many of them could be offered through the library.

b)  
Marketing of Programming

i)    
It is essential for the
library to know where to advertise our programming.  We will continue to
advertise on Facebook and through the VCU Calendar.  Thank you for sharing
contacts you receive emails from in your school.  This will help us
advertise our programs directly to the schools.

4)  
Open Discussion

a)    Coursera and CITI
training
was discussed as model for online courses.  

 

Agenda – December 6, 2012

Time & Location – 12PM, 1st Floor Conference Room, Tompkins-McCaw Library
1.  Welcome
2.  Follow-Up from previous meeting
  • Attendance
  • Other
3.  Programming – Guest – Shannon D. Jones, Associate Director, Research & Education
  • Responses to Questions for this Meeting
  • Types of Programming
  • Marketing of Programming
4.  Open Discussion
  • Other
Next Meeting: January 17th, 2013 @ noon in 1st Floor Conference Room

Questions for Dec 6th Meeting

Programming will be the theme of the December 6th meeting.  Shannon Jones, Associate Director for Research & Education, will be attending to see what kind of programming you might be interested at the VCU Libraries.  Some questions to think about prior to our meeting:

  1. What type of programming would you like to see offered at TML? i.e. Workshops, Panel Discussions, Invited Speakers, etc?  
  2. What are some topics of programming you think would engage the various members of MCV?  Do you know of any speakers who could speak on this topic (from the VCU community and beyond)?  
  3. What programming have you attended at VCU you thought to be successful?
  4. What programming was offered in your previous libraries?  What did you attend?
Please take some time to think about these questions prior to the meeting and come prepared to discuss.
Thank you – Emily