Earlier this month the Technology Services team, along with our Administration colleagues in Human Resources, Facilities Management, Police, Parking & Transportation, and Safety & Risk Management gathered to celebrate our accomplishments and to recognize those who this year exemplified great service. I would like to thank Technology Services’ own Eliza Weeks and Rob Toback for participating on the committee that put on this great event (and Eliza was a most excellent emcee). I would also like to recognize Amber Shaffer for her award for Customer Service, Dan Thomas for his Ambassador award, and James Daniels, for being part of the Teamwork award for the implementation of T2. Congratulations also to the many TS team members who were nominated fro awards. More information on this event and the awards given can be found here.
This event is a small part of our effort in the Division of Administration to create a “healthy, high-performance culture” in order to ensure that VCU is a great place to work and that we provide excellent service to the VCU community. To this end, two surveys were conducted in the Spring: a customer satisfaction survey and an employee engagement survey. In the coming months, we will be sharing the results of those surveys along with preliminary plans to address findings. We will also be seeking input on those plans. I look forward to working with everyone to continue our progress. This work will also integrate with the Great Place: HR Redesign initiative as we begin to implement improved processes and policies.
On the Horizon
With Summer in full swing, we begin preparations for the start of the new academic year. This includes completing critical infrastructure upgrades, repairing and replacing equipment in residence halls and classrooms.
We are also working on several exciting new initiatives:
- We are executing an agreement for Infrastructure as a Service (cloud hosting) beginning with authentication (CAS, Shibboleth, LDAP) and later Web Hosting.
- We also will be retiring our current version of VCU Mobile and replacing it with a more modern and customized version for employees and students.
- We will announce later this summer our new Identity Management System and will share our project plan for implementation.
- Our Web Content management system is getting a facelift as we move from version 7 to version 8 (presentation on July 6th from 2:00 – 4:00 pm, room 303 Cabell Library).
- We will publish a new Technology Services System Status site with many new features and functions.
As summer progresses, I will provide more information about these and other initiatives underway to improve and enhance VCU’s use of technology. I hope everyone enjoys the 4th of July holiday and has the opportunity to take some much deserved time off this summer!