By Christal Holmes, admissions counselor for marketing and recruitment
View Christal’s bio »
The Honors College is comprised of approximately 1,200 students in the university and represents virtually every major on the campus. The Honors College is made up of an intellectually diverse group of students and allows them to explore and develop their talents, engage in discussions with VCU faculty, and participate in classes of 20 or fewer.
In addition to the academic benefits, students admitted into The Honors College have access to honors advisors, an honors residence hall, honors-only scholarships, and early course registration.
Honors College Application Requirements
To be considered for admission into The Honors College, incoming freshmen must complete the undergraduate application and be admitted to the university as well as meet the following requirements:
- Have either a combined SAT 1 score of a minimum of 1910, obtained in one sitting with no score below 530, or an ACT composite score of 29.
- Have a 3.5 or higher unweighted high school GPA on a 4-point scale.
- Submission of the Honors College application.
- Submission of three letters of recommendation.
- Submission of a personal education paper.
Applications to The Honors College from incoming freshmen are accepted from September through April 30 of the applicant’s senior year in high school. Applications received after midnight Eastern Standard Time on April 30 will not be considered.
More information about the application process and requirements to The Honors College can be found on their Prospective Student Web site.
Guaranteed Admissions Application Requirements
Students interested in being considered for guaranteed admission into VCU’s highly selective graduate and professional level programs, including the School of Medicine must meet the following requirements:
- Be accepted by the university.
- Be accepted by the Honors College.
- Submit the application for guaranteed admission
- Be accepted by the Selection Committee of the professional or graduate Guaranteed Admission Program you wish to enter.
Completed applications for the Guaranteed Admission Program (Medicine) must be submitted and recommendations must be postmarked by November 15, 2009. Completed applications for the Guaranteed Admission Program (Health Sciences), must be submitted and recommendations must be postmarked by January 15, 2010.
Specific information about the Guaranteed Admission Program and application process can be found on the Web. Should you have additional questions in regards to applying to The Honors College or Guaranteed Admission Program, The Honors College may be reached by phone at (804) 828-1803 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.