by Christal Holmes, Assistant Director for Admissions Communications
Earlier in the summer, VCU became an exclusive member of the Common Application for new, first-time freshmen only. The application is available online only.
Transfer students or returning VCU students should visit our website for more information regarding their application process.
In addition to submitting the Common Application, freshman applicants must send official high school transcripts and either SAT or ACT scores. VCU also requires at least one letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, or other authority in order to complete your application package. When applicants complete the Common Application, they will be asked to submit recommender information. Recommenders will be sent an email on the applicants behalf requesting that they complete a recommendation.
Replacing the personal statement from our former application are essay prompts that all applicants must answer if they’re completing the Common Application. Applicants must choose one of the following topics and prepare an essay of no more than 650 words, using the prompt to inspire and structure responses:
Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?
- Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
- Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there and why is it meaningful to you?
- Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
In addition to answering one of the above essay topics, there are two additional VCU-specific writing prompts that all applicants are asked to complete:
- Describe a challenging situation you’ve faced. Briefly state the situation, how you responded and why, would you have done anything differently, has it affected or shaped who you are today?
- As you start your college career, what is your primary goal as a student and how have you prepared to meet this goal, how do you plan to succeed, how do you feel you will do at VCU?
Applicants to our School of the Arts programs should also refer to the SOTA admissions website for program-specific application requirements, such as portfolios or auditions: http://arts.vcu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/undergraduate/.
Our application fee for this year is $50 and must be paid when submitting the Common Application online; we do not accept checks or money orders for the payment of application fees.
Our deadlines for applying will continue to be December 1 for scholarship consideration and January 15 for regular decision. We will continue to review applications on a rolling basis (no early action or early decision); however, applications received after the January 15 deadline will be reviewed on a space-available basis only.
Students who apply and submit all materials to complete their application packages by our January 15 deadline will receive a decision from our office in writing, via U.S. mail, by April 1.
As always, we encourage prospective students, parents, and counselors to contact our office and speak with our admissions staff regarding questions about our application process. We can be reached by phone at 800-841-3638 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., and on Saturdays between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. We can also be reached by e-mail at email@example.com.