It is almost time to welcome the VCU class of 2021 to our campus. We hope you are excited about coming to VCU this fall. Freshman move in will be held on August 19, 2017. Residential Life and Housing staff, as well as faculty/staff and students from across the university, will be on hand to assist with unloading your vehicle and getting your belongings into your residence hall room.
The following is a list of things to bring with you to move in:
- Alarm clock and desk lamp
- Pillows, Blankets and bed linens for an extra-long twin bed (Ackell & Broad & Belvidere residents should bring bedding for a full bed)
- Bath linens, toiletries, shower caddy and shower shoes
- Your favorite fish, in a 10 gallon or smaller tank
- Iron and ironing board
- Surge protectors with on/off buttons
- Microwave, mini fridge, TV with QAM tuner, gaming systems (check with your roommate so you only bring one of each!)
- Plants, posters, wastebasket, mirror (except Johnson Hall)
- Non-flammable curtains
- Toilet paper, toilet plunger, and bathroom cleaning supplies if staying in suite-style residence hall
- Dishes, kitchen utensils, pots/pans, toilet paper, toilet plunger, shower curtain, and bathroom/ kitchen cleaning supplies if living in an apartment-style residence hall.
- Only one microwave and mini refrigerator are allowed per bedroom.
What you should Not bring:
- Additional furniture – wait until you have seen your room and how much space you have before bringing an extra chair. All VCU-provided furniture must remain in its assigned room. Non-VCU mattresses are not permitted without permission from Disability Support Services.
- Loft materials (construction of loft beds is prohibited) or cinder blocks to raise beds (only designated bed risers are permitted)
- Personal air-conditioners or space heaters
- Landline telephones (courtesy phones are located in each building)
- Pets that are not fish
- Extension cords and items that require a flame to operate or that produce heat, such as candles (including decorative), incense and incense burners, plug-in air fresheners, grills, lanterns and halogen lights (a full list of prohibited fire/safety items can be found in our policy manual (insert link to policy manual)
- Illegal drugs, fireworks, chemicals, firearms, and weapons of any kind. Students are expected to abide by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
If you need to pick up any last minute items once you arrive at campus, there are many stores located nearby. Some local favorite options are the Barnes and Noble at VCU (1111 West Broad St.); Kroger (901 N. Lombardy St.); Target (5401 West Broad St.); Willow Lawn shopping center (1601 Willow Lawn Dr.); and Walmart (7901 Brook Rd. or 2410 Sheila Ln.). The Walmart on Campus is conveniently located on campus at 912 W. Grace St. This smaller-scaled Walmart is designed with students’ needs in mind and includes a pharmacy.
If you have any additional questions, please contact VCU Residential Life and Housing by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (804) 828-7666.