VCU Class Registration Master Guide

It’s the time of year to begin registering for your Fall 2018 courses. If you’ve been newly admitted to VCU, there may be a looming sense of confusion over registration, and we’re here to help you.

Registration for Fall 2018 starts in March and lasts through the add/drop period during the first week of classes. If you attended or plan on attending a New Student Orientation, there will be a group advising session depending on your major. You can register for a New Student Orientation by clicking here. Advisors will be available during this time to assist you with class registration.

However, if you would like to change your schedule after this advising session or were not able to attend, you can log in to eServices yourself! To log in to eServices, you need your eID and password. Visit the eID finder if you are unsure of your eID.

The schedule of all courses for Fall 2018 can be found here.

The undergraduate class bulletin for the 2018-2019 year can be found here. You will use the bulletin to locate your school, major and 4-year plan of study, and list of courses required for your degree. Please note that if you were admitted for a school year other than 2018-2019, you will need to refer to the bulletin that corresponds to your admittance year. Bulletins from previous years can be found here. The bulletin also includes information about tuition, financial aid, the core curriculum and admission into certain programs.

Prior to registration, check for any preventative holds on your account. Holds can be viewed by clicking Student > Student Records > View Holds. We also recommend that you contact your advisor to find out what courses you should register for, before trying to do it on your own. Click here to view how to find out who your advisor is.

You will be able to register for courses on and after a certain date depending on the number of credits you have earned. To determine how many credits you have earned, log on to eServices and view earned hours located under “Transcript totals (undergraduate) earned hours/overall.”

Registration begins at 8 a.m. on the following dates:

Honors students: Mar 27
Veteran and active duty students: Mar 29
Graduate students and certificate seekers: Apr 2
Nondegree-seeking students: Apr 25

Registration dates for undergraduate students based on earned hours:

106+: Apr 3
91-105: Apr 5
76-90: Apr 9
61-75: Apr 10
46-60: Apr 12
31-45: Apr 16
15-30: Apr 19
0-14: Apr 23

On and after your designated registration day, you will be able to register for courses by clicking Student > Registration > Look Up Classes > Fall 2018. You will then select a Subject, and then “View Sections” of the course number in each subject. You will choose a subject depending on which courses are required for your degree, which again are found in the Bulletin. You will be able to register for the class by clicking the box under “Select”.

Some sections will have certain attributes listed, such as Online or Honors, that you can only register for if you meet these attributes. Some courses will have prerequisite courses which you must have taken before you can register for the course. Classes with corequisites may require a certain class be taken alongside your selected class.

CRN stands for Course Reference Number. This is the 5-digit identifying number of not just your class title but also the days and times it is held. Your CRNs should be recorded somewhere so you know exactly what you have registered for. Next to the CRN are the Subject, Course, Section, Campus, and Number of Credits. It is recommended that for full-time students working towards a 4-year degree, you register for about 15 credits per semester.

Textbook information will likely be shared by professors by email closer to the beginning of the semester, but you can also look up textbook requirements on bookseller sites prior to the start of the semester.

If you try to register for a course that is closed but is required for your degree, an override may be available for time conflicts, full classes, and other major restrictions. Overrides can be obtained from the course department chair.

For even more information about course registration, including withdrawals, overloads and medical leave, please visit the Records and Registration website.

If you have any questions, please comment down below and we will get back to you!

Follow VCU Office of Admissions on:
Facebook: Virginia Commonwealth University Office of Admissions
Twitter: @VCUAdmissions
Instagram: @vcuadmissions