7 Things I Wish I Knew When Applying to VCU

Getting into college can be stressful and nerve racking. You have to submit your transcripts, SAT/ACT scores, submit applications, etc.

Here are some things I wish I knew when I was submitting my college applications:

1. You don’t have to be a perfect test taker. They tell you early in your high school career “start studying for your SATs/ACTs!” However, not everybody is the best test taker and many students don’t get perfect scores on their test. If you’re a student who doesn’t have the best scores, that’s okay. Other components of your application can be what helps build your case to get admitted. However, it doesn’t hurt to take the test more than once.
  2. Take some upper level classes. You don’t have to be a full AP or IB student, but it doesn’t hurt to take some advanced classes. It shows you’re willing to challenge yourself.
  3. Take any chance to boost your GPA! Your GPA is a big factor when being considered for college. Take some electives you will enjoy, but don’t slack off in them. Electives can be a great GPA boost for your transcripts.
  4. Do some extra curricular activities! These look great on college applications and they are the easiest to add on your application. Volunteer or join a club. If you have a job, list that too! Any of these help you stand out to admissions.
  5. Choose references for your letter of recommendation who have watched you grow and have really helped you prosper! A great example is a teacher you have gotten close to or had more than once.. They are the best to relay to admissions what you can bring to the table.
  6. Really reflect how the school can help better your education in your essay. You want to portray how you can add to the greatness of the university. Admission essays shouldn’t be a narrative of your life, you want to write about how the school can help you, how you can help the school, and why you deserve to be there.
  7. Don’t wait until the last minute do to your application! A rushed essay and application can be seen from a mile away. Take your time filling our your application and writing your essay, admissions can tell if you rushed through it.

Follow VCU Office of Admissions on…
Facebook: Virginia Commonwealth University Office of Admissions
Twitter: @VCUAdmissions
Instagram: @vcuadmissions

One thought on “7 Things I Wish I Knew When Applying to VCU