FAQs When Applying to VCU

1. Q: What are your deadlines?

A: Our fall regular decision deadline is January 15.

2. Q: Do you look at weighted or unweighted GPA’s?

A: For regular admission we will look at the applicant’s weighted GPA.

Those who are applying to The Honors College should note that they consider the unweighted GPA during their review process and require that applicants have a 3.5 or better for consideration.

3. Q: Will you super score my test scores?

A: For regular admission we will super score the SAT, or consider the highest score for each section of the test from all dates taken.  We also will consider the highest composite ACT score.

4. Q: Where do I submit letters of recommendation?

A: Letters of recommendation can be sent via the Common Application; emailed to us at ugrad@vcu.edu; or mailed to the Office of Admissions at Box 842526, Richmond, VA 23284.

5. Q: When will I receive my admissions decision?

A: Freshman applicants for fall 2019 who submit a complete application package by the recommended January 15 deadline will receive a decision from our office in writing by April 1.  We review applications on a rolling basis; therefore it is possible to receive a decision from us before April 1.

Transfer students applying for fall 2019 by the recommended May 1 deadline will receive admissions decisions from our office in writing, via U.S. postal mail, throughout the spring semester on a rolling basis.

6. Q: I’ve been admitted, how do I accept my offer of admission?

A: If you’ve been admitted to the university we ask that you respond to our offer, whether you’re accepting or declining.  If you’re accepting the offer, we ask that freshmen for the fall semester respond by May 1 if admitted on or before April 1.  Transfer students who are accepted for the fall semester by May 1 are asked to respond by June 1.  Freshmen admitted after April 1, or transfers admitted after May 1, are asked to respond within two weeks of their acceptance notification.

7. Q: I’m a transfer student for the spring, but my transcripts won’t be ready until December; will I still be considered for the spring semester?

A: Yes, if you submit your transcripts to us as soon as your final grades are posted, and all other application materials have been received to complete your application package, we should have time in our office to review your application and get a decision back out to you for the spring semester.

8. Q: I forgot to attach a resume, how can I get that to you to attach to my application?

Documents such as resumes can also be sent to ugrad@vcu.edu where it will be attached to your application file.

If you have any other questions you can email us at ugrad@vcu.edu

Follow VCU Office of Admissions on…
Facebook: Virginia Commonwealth University Office of Admissions
Twitter: @VCUAdmissions
Instagram: @vcuadmissions