Why I Give – Rose Gilliam

Rose Gilliam

Rose Gilliam graduated with honors from the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Business in 1995. She earned a bachelor’s degree in finance after seven years of hard work and balancing school with a full-time job and a family. Today, Rose is Argent Credit Union’s CEO/President and oversees a $205 million dollar organization with over 23,000 members.

A loyal donor to the School of Business annual fund, Rose has consistently increased her giving each year and has been a member of the Investors Circle for the past five years.

Why do you give?

I was born and raised in Chesterfield County and I’ve enjoyed seeing VCU grow and change for the better. It’s been good for the community and everyone that has been through VCU. When I give back to VCU it feels like a way to help provide opportunities for current students and give back to the community at the same time.

The VCU da Vinci Center is a perfect example of one of those opportunities and something that the School is doing to make students more well-rounded and marketable. When you get into the working world, you need to be able to work with other disciplines. Programs like the da Vinci Center also help current students to gain experience working on a team and help them to see the bigger picture of a project.

Progressive education opportunities such as this make me proud to be a lifetime member of the VCU Alumni.

What was your experience like as a student?

I was at VCU for one year before getting married, and I ended up choosing to leave school because it seemed like too much at the time with full-time school, a part-time job and being a new wife. When I finally went back to school, it was because I knew I needed a degree to advance in my career. Originally I had planned to focus on accounting, but at the urging of my mentor at Argent, I went with finance because it allowed me to have a more complete look at the whole organization.

It was a long road to my degree with a lot of sacrifice and I couldn’t have done it without the support of my husband, my parents and my in-laws. I went to school at night and took a couple courses each semester. I appreciate every single class I was able to complete. It took me seven years to finish my degree, but it was worth it.

Do you have any advice for current students?

Take advantage of opportunities for internships or part-time jobs in your field of study. It will help prepare you for the real world. Learn everything you can and don’t take your education for granted. It will give you tools that will help you in your career and in the future.

Read about previously featured friends and alumni:

Erica Billingslea
Trish and Jon Hill

Powered by VCU blogs