Congratulations to our Outstanding Faculty Mentor Awardees for 2014

Each year, the VCU Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program accepts nominations from students for the our “Outstanding Faculty Mentor” Awards.  Undergraduate researchers are asked to identify a professor or faculty mentor who regularly goes above and beyond to create and engage students in research opportunities.

Students provide a written statement that describes why the chosen nominee deserves an outstanding mentorship award, including specific examples that detail their nominee’s contribution to undergraduate research at VCU.  The main criteria for these nominations include; how the faculty member has enhanced the skills related to undergraduate research in their discipline, how the nominee has expanded the knowledge base of student researchers, the ways in which the mentor has assisted undergraduates in their engagement with research, the lasting impression the mentor has made on students’ future academic and professional plans.

Please join us in recognizing our 2014 Outstanding Faculty Mentors!

greenDr. Jeffrey Green is Associate Professor in the Dept. of Psychology and Director of the Social Psychology program.  Click on Dr. Green’s name to learn more about his teaching and research interests.  Dr. Green was nominated by undergraduate researcher Priya Lall, who had this to say about her mentor’s guidance: “He has enhanced the skills related to undergraduate research in the discipline of social psychology by providing opportunities to participate and grow in his lab. He has enhanced the skills of undergraduates by training them in research-related activities like conducting studies and coding, as well as-involving them in meetings discussing articles, presentations, etc. I have been able to run experimental sessions for a variety of studies ranging in topics such as forgiveness, rejection, and the self. Dr. Green is an outstanding mentor that has provided me with opportunities that have opened the door for many more opportunities along with assisting me in learning the research process.”

Christopher LemmonDr. Christopher Lemmon is Assistant Professor in the Dept. of Biomedical Engineering in the School of Engineering.  Click on Dr. Lemmon’s name to learn more about his teaching and research interests.  Dr. Green was nominated by undergraduate researcher and Engineering major, Dalton Berrie.  Dalton included the following statement regarding Dr. Lemmon’s mentorship in his nomination: “The students in Dr. Lemmon’s lab are truly a family. He has fostered a collaborative environment where all students, both undergraduate and graduate, are encouraged not only to work together but to form lasting relationships. While he is only in his second full year, Dr. Lemmon has had students present at national conferences and regional conferences. He has helped to prepare his students by arranging mock presentations and by critiquing these presentations from the standpoint of an unbiased audience member. As a result of my experience with Dr Lemmon I will be attending UF in the fall for their Ph.D. program in Biomedical Engineering.”

vranaDr. Scott Vrana is Professor in the Dept. of Psychology in the College of Humanities and Sciences and former UROP Summer Fellowship Mentor.  Click on Dr. Vrana’s name to learn more about his teaching and research interests.  Dr. Vrana was nominated by undergraduate researcher, UROP Summer Research Fellow and Psychology major, Rose Bono.  Rose attributed much of her development in research to Dr. Vrana’s guidance: “At the end of our first meeting, I was hooked on a project that has been a huge part of my life for the past year and a half. Not only was Dr. Vrana able to find me a project that allowed me to explore my interest in psychology and linguistics, but he was willing to take me on as his own student. Because of my thesis work, I am much more confident in my ability to conduct research. It was through his encouragement that I applied for—and won—a UROP Summer Fellowship in 2013. He also nominated me for Outstanding Junior and Senior in Psychology in consecutive years, both of which I was awarded. These accolades have hugely boosted my confidence, because the esteem of someone I deeply respect means a lot to me. Dr. Vrana invites me to his lab meetings, which helps me in understanding parts of my project and allows me to learn from more advanced students. Dr. Vrana pushes me beyond what I think I can do and gives me ample opportunities that help me advance.”

If you are interested in recognizing your faculty mentor for the outstanding guidance they provide to you and other undergraduate engaged in research and scholarship at VCU, please recognize them by nominating the for future Outstanding Faculty Mentor Awards here:  http://go.vcu.edu/uropmentoraward

Questions or concerns?  Contact your UROP Director, Herb Hill at hhill@vcu.edu