The VCU Department of Music features several on-campus locations for student practice, ensemble rehearsal and guest artist performances.
W.E. SINGLETON CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS
The W.E. Singleton Center for the Performing Arts, located at 922 Park Avenue, on the corner of Park Avenue and Harrison Street, houses the 500-seat Sonia Vlahcevic Concert Hall, as well as the administrative offices of the Department of Music and the VCU Music Box Office. Large ensemble rehearsal space, classrooms, faculty studios, an organ suite and percussion practice rooms are also available for student use.
The Department of Theatre’s Raymond Hodges Theatre is also housed in the Singleton Center, along with administrative offices for the Department of Theatre, the TheatreVCU box office, rehearsal and classroom space and set construction areas.
JAMES W. BLACK MUSIC CENTER
The renovated James W. Black Music Center is located at 1015 Grove Avenue, directly across from the W.E. Singleton Center for the Performing Arts. The 300-seat recital hall provides space for many student recitals and ensemble programs. Classrooms and faculty studios are also housed in the center, in addition to numerous practice rooms for student use.
Formerly Grove Avenue Baptist Church, the building was acquired by the university in 1977 and is part of the university’s historic building tour.
For more about VCU, visit http://www.vcu.edu/about/.