The Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) data contains data collections and data-related tools that can facilitate teaching or working with data in many different forms. Data sets can be downloaded in SPSS, SAS, Stata and ASCII.
In addition to the traditional political and social research data, the database also houses different types of data such as health data. Here are some examples of the data available:
- National Archive of Data on Arts and Culture offers and open access repository that facilitates research on the arts and culture by acquiring data.
- Terrorism & Preparedness Data Resource Center archives and distributes data that is collected by both government and non-governmental organizations and provides data about the nature of intra- and international terrorism activities.
- NCAA Student-Athlete Experiences Data Archive collects data from its member institutions in order to assist in the development of national athletics policies.
- Resource Center for Minority Data assembles data files focused on minority communities.
- Center for Population Research in LGBT Health compiles data on issues affecting sexual and gender minority populations in the United States.
- Education Research Data Sharing Initiative fosters secondary data analysis of NSF-funded STEM projects.
- Measures of Effective Teaching Database uses data from various research teams in order to supply teachers the tools they need to be successful and to improve student achievement in public schools around the United States.
- TeachingWithData.Org provides resources for teachers to build student’s quantitative literacy with open access teaching materials.
- Data Management and Curation supplies users with access to scientific data to reuse and validate research findings.
- Thematic Collections includes Aging, Race and Ethnicity, Terrorism, Education and Demographic data.
- Teaching Resources developed by ICPSR contain significant materials that help faculty teach with data.
By Irene Lubker, research and education librarian
Image: Measures of Effective Teaching Database