August 26, 2020 will mark the centenary of the 19th Amendment, which guaranteed women the right to vote in state and federal elections in the United States. As the nation celebrates this expansion of suffrage, VCU Libraries is sharing items from its collections of women’s history materials held in Special Collections and Archives and additional materials from the Image Portal partners.
You may enjoy exploring:
- Woman Suffrage Gallery offers highlights from suffrage materials in the Social Welfare History Image Portal’
- Editorial cartoons by pioneering women artists such as Lou Rogers, Blanche Ames, May Wilson Preston, Fredrikke S. Palmer, and Rose O’Neill
- The Woman Citizen covers and selected articles from this influential publication;
- “Your Girl and Mine” the story of the suffrage movie promoted by the Equal Suffrage League in February and March of 1915;
- And a large collection of suffrage and anti-suffrage handbills and pamphlets.
More to come in 2020!
Image: Equal Suffrage League, 1915 from Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library