VCU Libraries’ subscription to Naxos Music Library offers more than 1,750,000 streaming tracks from 120,000 albums. Classical music is the heart of the Naxos Music Library, but you will also find Broadway musicals, soundtracks, jazz, classic rock and world music. Check out new releases, with about 800 albums added each month.
Listen to music from today’s top artists such as Lang Lang or classic artists like Arthur Rubinstein. Explore composers through eras from Johann Pachabel to John Zorn. Relax to Brahms’ Clarinet Trio in A Minor performed by VCU’s Charles West. Stream on your laptop, your iPad or phone. Create playlists of favorites or enjoy the monthly Naxos selections.
Naxos is comprised of preeminent classical recording labels including Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, EMI, RCA and Sony Classical as well as many smaller, specialty labels. You will not find music from these core labels on consumer services such as Pandora.
Try these music connoisseur features:
- Search by artist, composer, instrument, genre, period or song duration.
- Find liner notes, cover art and detailed performer, instrumentation and publisher information.
- Review biographies of composers and artists, a glossary, musical terms, pronunciation guide and analysis of core classical works.
- The opera section has more than 700 libretti and synopses.
- For music educators, find a junior listening section and K-12 curriculum and teaching materials.
Image: Bettera (artist). (Mid-17th Century). Still Life with Musical Instruments and Books. Italy. Creative Commons