About Me

I am a Professor in the School of Pharmacy at Virginia Commonwealth University.  My academic credentials include B.S. in Pharmacy, M.S. in Pharmacy Administration, and Ph.D. degrees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  Before joining VCU, I was a faculty member at the University of Georgia’s College of Pharmacy.  I teach courses in financial management, pharmacoeconomics, and managed care pharmacy. My textbook, Financial Management for Pharmacists: A Decision Making Approach is widely used in schools of pharmacy

My research examines channels of distribution, pricing, costs of care, and insurance and reimbursement in pharmacy and the pharmaceutical industry.  Recent projects have examined the effects of patient copayments on cancer patients’ adherence to oral medications, differences in costs of retail and mail-order prescriptions, and consumers’ use of an on-line prescription price comparison website .  I am currently working with graduate students Batul Electricwala and Anisha Patel to estimate the costs resulting from opioid poisonings, with Della Varghese to study the consequences of off-label use of atypical antipsychotics, and with Rishi Kale to look at the relationship between financial burden and quality of life of cancer survivors.  Elena Fernandez, a PharmD student, and I are looking at whether patients who use mail order pharmacies have higher adherence.  My research has been supported by a number of private and public organizations including RxEOB, Pfizer, the NCPA Foundation, Genzyme and the Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services.

In addition to my academic work, I have served as expert and testifying witness for a number of law firms.  I have testified about third-party pricing and reimbursement, costs of dispensing prescriptions, business aspects of pharmacy practice, mail order pharmacy, pharmaceutical rebates, pharmacy-related Medicaid policies, and insurance fraud.