IAT Gender – Career

Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 1.39.58 PM

I chose to take the “Gender – Career” Implicit Association Test because I wanted to see if my years of studying gender and participating in feminist activism have actually altered the way I perceive socially constructed stereotypes and stigmas of gender.  The test aimed to identify the level of difficulty it took to associate the words “Female” with “Family” and “Male” with “Career” (and the reverse).  My results came out to be having a “strong association of Female with Career and Male with Family compared to Male with Career and Female with Family”.

There are many things that I think the test revealed about me, the biggest one being that I have had female role models in my life in which I have never seen not working towards a career.  I also think that it reveals how strongly I have worked to try and overcome the stereotype of the “working male” and “stay-at-home mother”.  I thought my results would be more towards a neutral preference for both groups, so I was slightly surprised that the association I had with the groups was “strong” compared to “moderate” or “neutral”.  I was also probably overcompensating for the “Female with Career” group because I am conscious of preexisting stigmas attached to gender roles in our society.

I really liked how the IAT took into account my own personal factors that could contribute to my results, such as my upbringing (who worked in my household when I was a child) and my personal views on gender roles.  There are some things that I did not like about the IAT as well, such as not recognizing that not everyone labels themselves as “male” or “female”, which was not only in the actual test but also in the survey at the end of the test which also lacked any other option to chose but the dichotomy of male and female.  I can understand why they chose the dichotomy for the actual test, but not for the personal survey that was to be taken at the end.

-Lyndsay

This entry was posted in Assignments For 311. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to IAT Gender – Career

1. Sarah Chua says:

Lyndsay,

I also took this IAT and I see how our backgrounds influence the results of the test. My results were different from yours, and I believe our different backgrounds and family definitely play a part in it. Feel free to read my post! Also, I like how you mentioned there only being “male” and “female” choice at the end and I noticed that as well. That might be something that should be looked into to prevent discouragement from taking the test. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah

2. Hannah Meredith says:

Lyndsay,

I really enjoyed reading your post! It’s so interesting that your preference was described as “strong” and I think that’s such a reflection of your passion and work within the feminist movement. I’m enjoying learning about how everyone’s different upbringings have impacted our world views. Thanks for sharing!

Hannah

3. Sarah Wiley says:

This so interesting to me that a lot of us received slight preferences towards the minority group/opinion due to our upbringing and awareness of certain causes. I wonder if that is fine or if the ultimate goal should really be neutrality? For instance, some “feminists” will put down stay at home mothers instead of respecting their choice! This is a great post and I do love how you pointed out that the IAT focuses on a gender binary instead of a spectrum.

• wilshawlr says:

Thank you! And that’s exactly what I was wondering as well, about the “neutrality” of it all. I love the point you bring up about feminism as well. I think we are definitely engaging in a super important talk at what feminism actually entails in this modern day and there seems to be a clash of disagreements everywhere I turn.

4. Marina says:

Hi Lyndsay,

It’s interesting to me that we still have a stigma about working mothers in our society because I recently found out that most of the American public considers mothers working outside the home a “good thing.” I guess the problem is created not when mothers decide to work (or simply when they just have to work to raise their families, in most cases), but rather when they are not given the support they need to balance these two roles (maternity and family leave, flex hours, etc). Perhaps if we had more support for working mothers this dichotomy of being either a career woman or a family woman would cease to exist (especially because women have more than proven that they are capable of doing both). Great post!

• wilshawlr says:

I totally agree! I think we are getting over the “idea” of women in the working place, but the actual companies and corporations have not shifted their policies to a more family-oriented system. So women are working, but like you said, men and women do not have the support to have life outside of the workplace.